Adium?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sdahe, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Is Adium a good application?... I don't want to have wierd things going around in my computer so I want to know how Adium works for those who have it installed... thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Works nicely (though, I prefer iChat).

It's a well known application around these forums; I wouldn't hesitate to install it.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I think it's great.

It's oh-so very customizable, fast, and supports loads of IM networks.

Doesn't support Video Chat yet, but thats it's only down-fall.

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks guys... I will download it and see how it goes!!!

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Good choice, it's great.

6. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

it is fine but i prefer digsby. sad that it isnt ready for OSX...yet

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

adium is an awesome program. You can't use it for video chat but if you rely on IM like I do all day long, you will not be disappointed with it.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i used adium for about a week... i don't really like it as much as iChat. i guess it's good but it just looks very ugly compared to iChat... it's like it doesn't match. you can do as much theming as you want but IMHO it isn't as great as the native iChat.

i was looking for an all in one facebook+twitter+aim client... i went back to iChat and just installed a twitter widget.

oh well.

9. Testify macrumors member

I use Adium too, but I would prefer iChat but I live in a PC world outside of my house where everyone has MSN

So, I'm really happy with Adium..

10. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

it doesn't match? does the program run? if it does...that is all the matching you would really need.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Adium is great simply for convenience - you can handle everything all in one. Save for vchat.. Skype works best for that imo since it also connects much better with Windows users (if you need to that is)

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've used Adium for years, iChat feels very clunky to me now. I have both running at work, iChat for my boss and coworkers (we do video and audio chat a lot), and Adium for everyone else.

jW

13. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I like to customize a lot of things on my Mac, and one of those is Adium. Heck, I've written a couple AppleScript addons to Adium, just search for my name on their Xtras page.

14. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I downloaded Adium but am having problems with it displaying my picture for others on MSN. I can see my own picture on my screen and it is set to use my Icon under preferences but it still just shows the regular green MSN logo on people's computers.

Anyone know how to fix this bug??:confused:

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

16. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

are you nuts?!? It looks 100x better than iChat, you just have to know how to customize it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Screen looks nice:) In your list one can only see greens and reds on the left. You can't see their pictures unless you start a chat with them or move the mouse over their names. On the other end the user also can not see your display pictures as either if you are using MSN or Yahoo.

How do you customize it so that others can see your display picture on their side if they are using MSN? How do you also customize it so that your list shows their display pictures instead of just the green and red icons?

18. dxta0 macrumors member

dxta0

i know this off topic but i like would like to have that wallpaper you got

19. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Yeah +1, that wallpaper looks nice:D

20. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah, I could see that being an issue for some people, but I just like to keep things simple.

Size = 1920x1200
    [​IMG]

Also can be found here: http://www.fantasy-and-art.com/index.php/abstract-hd-wallpapers/?nggpage=2

21. reubs macrumors 68000

My biggest problem with Adium is that it doesn't look like it will ever be available on the iPhone! As an OS X program, though, it's great. I have it running all the time, and I've never noticed any slowdown because of it.

22. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Twitter support is coming with Adium 1.4, and it already supports Facebook Messenger and AIM.

You can configure it to show a user's avatar in the contact list as well. Obviously, you'd want to make the rows larger in order to see them properly.

Possibly not, but according to their analysis, one of the barriers will be removed with the introduction of push notification in the iPhone 3.0 OS.

You try to tell me that this doesn't look beautiful. (When I'm at my desk, my iBook is dedicated to Adium and Twitter.)

Attached Files:

23. awpitchy macrumors member

awpitchy

I used to use it until it started playing up on me. By that I mean my conact requess never got through, it said people were offline when I knew that they wernt. It nearly always failed to connect to the server and my messages never got through ! It's nothing but bad luck for me, never mind though. You may have better luck than me. :p

24. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Trashing your preferences would probably have fixed that problem.

25. bov macrumors 6502

strange... Adium works awesome for me! all the customizable features make it much more appealing to me than iChat.