Adjust font smoothing in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by slapple, Jan 2, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I'm a new Mac user and prefer the sharp fonts in Windows over the Mac's anti-aliased fonts. I've seen a few pages that say you can open Terminal and run the following command:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int n

where n is 0, 1, 2, or 3. 0 means no smoothing, and 3 means strong smoothing.

I've tried setting it to 0 and 3 (and restarted each time), but I see no difference between the two. The system always seems to be using the default smoothing. Maybe the AppleFontSmoothing setting isn't supported in Lion? Is there any way to adjust the smoothing in Lion?

2. mape2k macrumors regular

Have you tried disabling the option in the System Prefs Pane first? (System Prefs > General)

3. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Unchecking the "Use LCD font smoothing when available" setting doesn't seem to do anything.

The "Turn off text smoothing for font sizes [4..12] and smaller" setting seems helpful, but of course it's only for small fonts, and it also doesn't apply in all places, just certain places.

I'd like to be able to adjust the font smoothing for all fonts everywhere, regardless of size, but it doesn't seem like I can do that.