Adjust Macbook Hinger/Alignment?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mousouchop, May 15, 2009.

1. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hey,

I have the Unibody Macbook, however since the day I got it, the top case has always been slightly off kilter. Not very noticeable to the eye, but you can feel the overhang when it is closed along the left edge with the ports.

I was wondering, if I took off the larger bottom panel underneath (seeing as this is done easily removing just 8 or so screws), would I be able to adjust the hinge alignment without unscrewing anything else (aside from loosening and then tightening a couple of screws on the hinge). I don't want to unscrew my logic board or anything else like that, don't want to gamble that much. haha.

Has anyone managed this before? I tried looking at pictures on ifixit.com... but they are too low res for me to see if hinge adjustments are possible with the simple removal of only the bottom panel.

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Can you post a pic? It would help me tell you how to fix it...

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Well, like I said it is a very slight overhang... I have read of others having it on the forums. Pictures would not be of much help... I think it is too slight for Apple to even take it as an issue, hence my wanting to try to go at it myself.

Essentially, running your fingers on the left edge of the macbook (when closed), you can feel the topcase overhanging past the edge of the bottom case. And on the right side you can feel that the top case is a little less than flush with the bottom case. I am thinking if I can just loosen the hinge mount and nudge it a bit, it would repair the issue.

Just wanted to know if someone had been inside of the uMB and whether access to the hinge is possible without touching anything else inside the computer.

4. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Ok, I understand what your saying. Honestly I don't really think it would be worth it for you to try and fix that. You have any idea how many screws you would have to take off, and the possibility you might strip them, lose them, misplace them. Just leave it be man trust me on this one. That little micro over hang bothering you that much?

I guarantee you, if you looked at 50 random macbooks they would all be off in some way or another.

5. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Lol. Nah... Had the MB since October... I think I am just really bored and figure that if it can be easily and safely fixed, I would do so. :p

6. chunkylover53 macrumors newbie

This can be done-- I've done it on one of my units (that I later had to return). Just use those pics as a reference, and once the bottom case is off, look for the where the hinge assembly attaches to the aluminum on the right and left. The attachment on the right (left side if you were looking at the computer while using it) is easier wrt to removing the screws. Careful not to lose any-- it can happen.

Once the hinge is loosened from the rest of the case, adjust the LCD to straighten it, then reattach the hinge assembly.

7. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Haha... ummm, did you have to return it because you jacked it up doing what you just told me to do? hahaha. :p

I think I will probably just leave it, or take it in and see if they will do anything about. I am not looking for a replacement. Just for them to align the topcase, or tell me it can't be done. :)

8. chunkylover53 macrumors newbie

:) no-- I probably should have noted that I returned it for an unrelated problem. The genius bar can definitely do it for you too.