Adjust the graphic card to 16-235 (video)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by makatowicz, Oct 12, 2011.

1. makatowicz macrumors newbie

Hello Folks. Im brand new to this forum and signed up just to get an answer to my question...

I have just bought an Epson eh tw 4400. It is hooked up to my Imac 27 inch new this year. (graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 and still running OSX lepard)

I am mainly using plex, but sometimes also vlc. Even after the projector has been profesionally calibered it is much too dark. The guy who did the job told me to check that my graphic card was set to 16-235 which is a video standard and not pc standard that is 0-255. I have looked through VLC, Plex and the preferences and utilities. I have not been able to locate anything like this. I even called mac help center and they told me that mac only has graphic card adjustments for what you find under preferences and display which at best is extremely limited.

Can anybody help me with this? Since I mac is widely used for video editing and such this should be possible, I recon.

Any hint would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Bill

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Is you iMac screen also too dark? Otherwise, your calibrator was a bit full of it.

16-235 would have been the answer for broadcast, not film. It doesn't make pictures dark, it just cuts shadows and white a bit, doesn't do anything to your brightness in general.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Media player software like VLC will automatically scale video range (16-235) to full range (0-255). If it didn't the image would look milky, not dark. Things looking too dark is usually a gamma issue.

Not sure where you're going with this...