Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

Just picked up a set of Air Pods for use with my Watch Series 3 (Watch OS 5.0.1) and iPhone 8 (iOS 12.0). I am unable to figure out how to adjust the volume of Air Pod with the Watch.

From the iHeart Radio application on the Watch there are volume control buttons. However, they do not adjust the volume of the Air Pods. Also, I have read that rotating the digital crown will adjust the volume. This also does not work.

Only way I can adjust the volume is with Siri or by changing the volume with the iPhone.

Anyone have thoughts on how to change volume using the Watch.

Don Barar

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Volume control should work - does for me - Now Playing app is one place to do this, as is many other now playing screens - maybe the iHeart Radio app is just not that good?

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

Just picked up a set of Air Pods for use with my Watch Series 3 (Watch OS 5.0.1) and iPhone 8 (iOS 12.0). I am unable to figure out how to adjust the volume of Air Pod with the Watch.

From the iHeart Radio application on the Watch there are volume control buttons. However, they do not adjust the volume of the Air Pods. Also, I have read that rotating the digital crown will adjust the volume. This also does not work.

Only way I can adjust the volume is with Siri or by changing the volume with the iPhone.

Don Barar

I was able to confirm that the native Podcast application does offer Air Pod volume control support from Watch. However, it appears that many third party radio applications (iHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio, etc) do not offer or are not compatible with Air Pod volume control from Watch.

Don Barar

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I was able to confirm that the native Podcast application does offer Air Pod volume control support from Watch. However, it appears that many third party radio applications (iHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio, etc) do not offer or are not compatible with Air Pod volume control from Watch.

Don Barar
Yea I believe volume control wasn’t available to 3rd parties UNTIL watchOS 5 - for apps that haven’t updated to watchOS 5 then you’ll need to open the Now Playing app to change volume - the Now Playing app will let you play/pause any audio app that is playing along with volume control.

Reactions: profets

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So just to be clear, you have to have the now playing app open to change the volume? And is it touch screen control or do you just move the crown? Would be easier to just have the crown control any audio playing either through the watch speakers or through any headphones.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I use Now Playing app (or swipe left in the workout app), then spin the crown to adjust. Of course, my airpods are connected to my iphone, streaming music from spotify typically, so not playing natively from the watch itself. If I was using apple music on the watch, I assume I could just spin the crown in that app to adjust volume. Haven't used very many watch apps, honestly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.