Adjust wi-fi download speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tikidoc, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I have a base model 2010 13" MBP. I use it at work as well as my Windows desktop, because I frequently log in to professional organization websites and keep the passwords on the MBP. I occasionally update apps on itunes because my home internet is terribly unreliable (bad connection, out in the country). The problem is that the MBP apparently uses up most of the bandwidth on the office wi-fi whenever I download anything. This does not seem to be a problem with Windows based computers. Time is not a major issue, so is there a way to change the settings so my computer does not clog up the office wi-fi? I have tried lowering the MTU settings in the Ethernet section of the "advanced" network preferences. Did not help at all. Suggestions? The MTU setting was the only thing the office IT guy could suggest, but he does very little with Mac computers.

2. tikidoc thread starter macrumors regular

tikidoc

Thanks. Is there anywhere someone with less advanced Mac knowledge would be able to get a description of how to find the appropriate file and do this?