adjustable touch sensitivity?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by polaris20, Nov 8, 2008.

1. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I was futzing with a Touch yesterday at the Apple Store, and while it seems very cool, it was an absolute bitch to get it to respond to commands. I really had to press hard.
    Is there a way to adjust the pressure sensitivity on the Touch, or do they just require a lot of pressure? Did I happen to try one that was especially difficult?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ever realized how filthy people are? Most people aren't clean when they use their possessions... or other's. It's a display model, so it was disgusting and impossible to use. Keep your hands clean when you touch anything and everything and you won't FEEL that layer of grime on anything.

The screens are quite nice and easy to touch when they're clean is what I'm saying.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Without jumping to any conclusions about how clean you keep your hands, I'll say that I don't have any trouble getting my Touch to respond. One thing that may make a difference: the Touch's digitizer (the mechanism on the screen that recognizes touches) requires you to touch it with your skin, and won't work if you touch it with your fingernail or anything else non-conductive (like a plastic stylus, etc).

I'll add that although I find the Touch generally easy to control, sometimes I have a little trouble with the volume slider or the scrubber bar. You have to 'grab' the slider by touching it and moving it to where you want it. I think it might have been a little better if Apple had made the volume control so you could just touch wherever in the volume range you wanted the level to be, and the slider would 'jump' there, but that's not the way it is.

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

It does not rely on pressure at all, the screen has a layer of capacitive material that holds a charge, touching the screen with your finger changes the amount of charge at the point of contact.

Normally the screen is really quite responsive even to the lightest of touches.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

With mine, you can actually get it to respond by not even physically touching it, but having your finger the teensiest bit above the screen. It's not pressure sensitive in any case; it uses capacitive sensing circuits.

--Eric

6. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

my hands were quite clean (I'm a hand-washing fiend) but the screen did indeed have quite a bit of funk on it. I'll have to try one again at the local Best Buy.
    Thanks for the info, everyone!!

7. pgrisier macrumors newbie

@polaris20

I had the same difficulty as you when I started using my new iPhone 5s. The problem is -- the harder you press, the less lilkely the screen is to respond. Just the slightest contact of your finger with the surface is enough for the iPhone to recognize a "touch" gesture. If you press your finger down too hard, too much of your finger is in contact with the sensors, and the iPhone can't detect what you "touched."

Some tips I've discovered:

• Attack the screen with the tippy-tip of your finger, coming straight down in a perpendicular manner.
    • Use the lightest touch you can master.
    • Your skin must touch the surface. The iPhone doesn't respond to your fingernail.

Earlier versions of the iPhone let you adjust the touch sensitivity of the screen. Starting with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s, Apple changed the touch technology of the screen so you can no longer adjust the pressure sensitivity of the iPhone screen.