Adjusted worldwide grosses 1972-2010 (Avatar beat Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Josias, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

This adjusts the highest grossing movie of each year between 1972 and 2010 to current US dollars. Re-releases aren't counted, and as you can see, Avatar is a fingernail short of Titanic, but given that it isn't even halfway through its theatrical run, it's very likely that it will beat it.

[​IMG]

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

How exactly do they adjust them? Because a movie ticket back in the days of Titanic or Star Wars wasn't near what it is now. Even a matinee these days is $7.50-$8.50. Back in those days, the main price wasn't even that high. That's why I wish they'd rank movies by tickets sold, not amount. But maybe they have some voodoo math they use to equal all that out?

3. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Total tickets sold is another measure to take into account, no inflation there.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read one article showing after you factor in thing on older movies that only had a very limited release in theaters because of the time "Sound of Music" is top dog.

Back when sound of Music came only a handful of theaters would get a movie and only a very select few could even go to the movies.

5. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I don't think I understand your comparison? Also, SOM came out in 1965, not in 1504...

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

They probably rank it after the criteria that leads to the desired result...

7. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Do you mean Box Office Mojo?