Adjusting rMBP hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terraphantm, Sep 5, 2012.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I noticed that my display sits slightly crooked when the lid is closed. I think it was probably like this since I bought the laptop since I haven't dropped it or anything like that. When I took a closer look at the hinge, I saw that the right side hinge is recessed a little bit, while the left side is flush with the body.

For those who've opened these up - how difficult is it to access the hinges? I'm thinking if I could loosen the right side, pull it up a little bit and then tighten it back, it should be fine. I would just take it to an Apple store, but I'm pretty sure they'll accuse me of abusing it.

I've attached a few pics. First is the recessed hinge. Then a normal one. Then a picture of my lid closed showing how the one side protrudes a little bit off the side.

Attached Files:

2. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

3. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Bump - before I attempt to take this apart, does anyone have any similar issues? If so, did you successfully get Apple to cover it? Again, I did not drop this laptop, but I can certainly see why they would think I did. I don't want to risk voiding my warranty over something I could probably fix myself

4. zuckuss00 macrumors member

Dude, take it in the Apple!

They can accuse all they want. Fact is you spent $2000+ on one of their products and you should be satisfied with it. Go in there, ask nicely for a fix or replacement, if they give you hell, serve it right back. I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money on something new and it was ascetically flawed.

5. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

On principle I agree. But the Apple store is 1 hour away, and it's my word against theirs. I'm not particularly keen on driving 2 hours (round trip) just to have the claim denied and possibly cause my warranty to be voided altogether

6. stuaz macrumors 6502

Give them a ring instead? I have always found Apple care to be very good. Just try to stay calm and don't go all angry and accuse them of poor quality control. (Even though it may be true).

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I can understand why this would bug you (I know it would irritate me quite a bit), but is this the only issue you've got with your MacBook Pro?

I'm just concerned that Apple may give you a replacement rather than attempt a fix, which they seem to do more and more these days, meaning there's a risk that you might get a unit with the infamous image-retention problem (LG panel, probably).

A slightly misaligned hinge doesn't affect the machine's performance and is a relatively minor problem. It's your choice, but bear in mind that there's always a risk of getting a unit with more severe problems.

I, for one, am very glad that I've got a unit with the Samsung display and no issues whatsoever and I'd be hesitant to get it replaced if I had this minor hinge defect.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why do so many assume that Apple will refuse to help?

If you feel so strongly that you have good reason not to take the drive, then you already opened it...or damaged it.

My first inclination is not to open something under warranty.

Worse, are you seem so willing to open a $2500+ laptop which does void the warranty.

9. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Look - I didn't drop it. But I also know what it's like to work as tech support, and I know what it would look like if I came in with a laptop about a month after purchase with a misaligned hinge.

Only reason I asked before opening was because I wanted to know if there were any "gotchas" with adjusting the hinges. Also wanted to know if this happened to be a common issue that Apple is aware of (doesn't seem to be the case)

Anyway, my TS5 screwdriver came in, I popped off the back shield. The hinges are held on by 3 T10 screws on each side (6 total). I loosened them on the side that was misaligned, pushed the hinge so that it sat properly, and then tightened it. Put everything back together. And now it's perfect.

I also discovered that the Genius who fixed my laptop last time (for the creaking issue) mixed up one of the short screws with one of the long ones. I fixed that while I was at it.

I don't see how this would void the warranty since there are no stickers, and Apple allows you to open their other devices.

----------

My unit actually is already an LG unit, though I am happy with it otherwise (some ghosting, but not noticeable with non-solid backgrounds... color temp and background uniformity are perfect). In any case, I managed to fix it myself with minimal effort. I doubt Apple would've given me a new computer without at least trying to adjust the hinge (assuming they didn't outright claim it was abuse)

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

Apple considers the rmbp NON user servicable.

11. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

And yet they placed no stickers, no warnings indicating "warranty void if opened", and used non-proprietary (albeit uncommon) screws to keep it closed. In fact, the only evidence of it being opened was from the "genius" who worked on it a few months back.

If you actually read the warranty terms, Apple does not differentiate between the cMBP and rMBP. And even in the MBA's case, no language suggests that mere act of opening the system voids the warranty. What they do say is that if you damage anything while in there, the warranty doesn't cover it. Now had I damaged it while I was in there, yes I'd be SOL. But as it stands, I did not void the terms of their warranty by simply opening it. If there was significantly more disassembly required to get to the hinges, I would probably have lived with it or taken my chances at the genius bar.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

You are technically correct opening it alone will not void the warranty.
    But why would you chance accidental damage.

The rmbp is considered nonuser servicable so any change (the ssd is the only thing you can) technically voids the warranty. Apple does not consider the cmbp and rmbp the same.