Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
if i'm playing music and playing a game on my browser at the same time, how do i mute the volume of the browser and keep iTunes volume up. in windows this is fairly easy, is there some program that does this?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You're not using Windows anymore. Sorry bud, you don't have many options other than turning off the plug-ins in your Browser. Or turning the volume off of whatever site you are on.

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I think that on some online games, there is a volume adjuster. Other than that, though, I think you're out of luck.:eek:

BTW: GimmeSlack12, you're signature works perfectly on this thread. This is part of the 1%!

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I'm surprised no one else remembered Detour from Rogue Amoeba.

It allows you to route audio from specific applications to different outputs and at different volumes. If you wished, you could entirely mute Safari while keeping iTunes at its default level. The program would also allow you to route only iTunes audio to external speakers/headphones and at a different volume.

And it's free :)

(BTW, the reasons it's now free are outlined here. Basically, it doesn't really work with newer versions of Mail and iChat, however from what I read Safari and iTunes should both function normally. But if you're having some weird inexplicable problem, look there for the reasons it might not be working.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.