adjusting tiger HD partitions with leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by khunsanook, Oct 26, 2007.

1. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I have an external HD with 3 partitions (GUID partition table, OS Extended Journaled).

It is my understanding that you can resize partitions on the fly in Leopard. After I install Leopard on my internal HD will I be able to adjust my current external HD partitions (formatted in Tiger) or will have to reformat my external HD in Leopard to gain this feature?

2. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

khunsanook

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can just resize the partition from Disk Utility (even if it was created in Tiger) - select the disk, partitions and then add a new partition. You can resize it up to the size of the free space on the disk.

4. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Thanks Phil,
    I guess when I read the new "adjustable partitions" feature of Leopard I never even realized that you can already readjust partition sizes in Tiger, just not create more partitions on an existing partion.

So now my understanding of the new feature in Leopard is that you can actually add more partitions to an existing partition.

Thanks for your reply!

5. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Help! Same kind of position, had a 500GB external, now installed leopard and got rid of one partition (It was in two, one storage and one backup but i need more space for the backup) so now I want to partition it again but at a different size and keep the data that's on the hard drive too.

How do I add a new partition (Say 150GB) to the drive without damaging whats already there?

Thankyou!

6. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I recently adjusted my partitions but I did it through the terminal. If you're comfortable doing that, google "nondestructive repartition mac os x" and there are guides that will walk you through it.

7. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian