Adjusting to the 27in

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mx356, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Well I got my new 27in iMac in yesterday and so far I love the thing. The screen is huge and is going to be amazing for editing. My question is how do you guys have your iMac's setup desk wise. Right now this is the only desk I have:

[​IMG]

How I have it right now is way to close and almost makes your feel nauseous. The computer is all the way back, so a new desk is in my future. So what type of desk setup's are you guys using?

Thanks for any help!

2. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

Awesome, thanks for that. I used the search feature before posing and didn't find anything so that's going to help a lot. Thanks bud

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a regualr flat top desk. The iMac is only 22" from my face and after a year of ownership, this 27" iMac doesn't seem all that huge like it did when I first got it. After a while you'll adjust to it and then eventually, you won't even realize how big it is.

4. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

That's what I figured. I'm coming from a 15in macbook pro so I knew it was going to be a big jump but once I get use to it it's gonna be even better

5. simsaladimbamba

Strangely enough, I have a 2007 20" iMac and I still think, that it is quite big, and that after more than four years. Though a 27" would be quite nice for some of my applications.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

After you work on those 27" screen the 20" looks miniature. Thankfully I have retained proper Spaces use by staying on 10.6.8.

7. simsaladimbamba

That I can imagine. Yeah, and to trash talk that stupid OS called Lion: IT SUCKS, having no space for proper Spaces. What where they thinking at Apple? 12 Spaces in a tiny little row? Ah yes, consumers don't use Spaces. Motherfrackers.

/end

8. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I think it is pretty natural for us humans to adjust to things like this. I've had my dual 27" displays for only about two weeks now and I've already adjusted, in fact I'd like a 3rd. When I go to work and use my peasly 24" 1080p display I can't get over how small it feels. Luckily work programming is just vi and it doesn't suffer as much as the window hungry XCode that I use at home.

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

In a week or two, it will look normal.

I have the same (old, creative brand) speakers next to my iMac.

Attached Files:

10. lali macrumors regular

Any way you look at it I believe this too close and a new desk is in order, if you have the space in your office. I use an Ikea gallant desk with a 24" imac

There are two widths to the ikea gallants, i have the widest. Later today i will measure

11. FrankHahn, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I do not feel my 27" Apple Cinema Displays large anymore! (It appeared huge to me when I got my first 27" Apple Cinema Display.) I even felt them too small when I wrote programs and when I used LaTeX to compile articles, books, or slides.

I also received thankful words from a friend whom I persuaded to get a 27" iMac instead of a 21.5" iMac. My friend now thinks that the 27" screen is just the right size to him.

12. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

Haha I've had these speakers for about 5 years and they are still going strong and have a nice amount of bass

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It does become normal over time....I upscaled my desk, chair, the whole shebang, but now I'm used to the 27" screen, the only one that does look huge is the TV, but I have only just started using it as a monitor....I guess that will become normal to the eye after a while too.

But bigger? No, that's enough for me!

14. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

Well I bought a new desk yesterday and it made everything so much better. I'm already starting to get use to it and am loving the screen real estate that this thing has

Sorry for the crappy pic but this desk made it so much better:
    [​IMG]

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

27" wasn't enough for me. I have a 20" 4:3 monitor beside it. The keyboard is a 1989 Northgate Omnikey, which is huge as well. It all looks mighty small in the fisheye lens photo:

[​IMG]

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

thats a cozy little work area. I like it.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I was quite surprised to see "Northgate Omnikey" referenced here. I had no idea there were any of these still around. Though I did use to love mine, back then....

18. Spike88, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If standing in the vehicle's full (high) beams, one's eyes does get over powered. With this in mind, looking at full screen of 27" iMac can create same vision effect as well.

As a suggestion, open an application (like email) and simply "size its window" for your vision comfort. For example, it may only consume 50% of the screen. Now, open a different application (like Safari) and "size its window" for your vision comfort. For example, it may only consume 50% of the screen. With both applications open and placed side-by-side, one can see both applications at the same time. One of the great benefits of a large screen real estate space….

With full 27" physical space, it doesn't mean each of your applications need to be displayed in full screen mode. Just like using Full / high beams on a vehicle. Only use full screen coverage when needed - like watching an exercise U-Tube clip, standing behind your desk chair and doing some of the exercises….

If I had an iMac 27", this is how I'd use its large screen real estate space…

19. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

IMHO Full Screen Mode, especially on Lion, is an abomination with the large monitor and is a real disaster with multiple monitors (you can only have one full screen app at a time.

I've been using BetterTouchTool or BetterSnapTool on my systems for the ability to snap an app to the side or corner and arrange multiple apps on a single display.

20. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I suggest you get a low bookcase and position that behind your desk.
    Put the 27in monitor on that and move the desk away from the bookcase until you are happy with the result.