adjustment from windows to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by buxter, Sep 10, 2008.

1. buxter macrumors newbie

i have been urged lately to buy a mac. and i have plans on buying one. i would just like to know the adjustments that i will undergo since i will be using a mac platform. like the shortcut keys etc. is mac easier to handle?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

There are lots of differences. Too many to list here. Are there specific things you're wondering about. You asked about (keyboard) shortcuts. These mostly work the exact same way, but use the command button instead of control. So, command+c for copy, command+v for paste.

See Apple's helpful information for switchers: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/. There's a lot of tips there for people wondering what it will be like moving from Windows to OS X.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a fairly recent switcher, I can say that Mac is different (better, yes) but not necessarily easier. There is a learning curve, and I'd recommend that you give yourself some time to master it, but it is not difficult, just different.

The command key comes with either/or/and a little Apple symbol or a strange clover-leaf symbol; it is located beside the track pad. The right click is another bug bear for ex-Windows switchers (control +trackpad held down; plug in a two-button mouse) - Apple has versions of most of these functions, it's just that they are a little different. You learn all the time and ask questions of people, such as are found on this forum.

I found a useful file called MacSwitcherTips which I have placed on my desktop where I can consult it easily.

Cheers

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Good luck on your purchase and hope you enjoy the Mac experience.

Welcome to a relatively small but friendly community.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple Store can transfer your PC files to your new Mac, in addition to providing free workshops.

OS X is easier. And for those who learn how it works, it's much better.

On a Mac you don't have to figure out what kind of anti-virus you need (due to NO viruses), what kind of defrag program to use (OSX does it in certain situations), plenty of keyboard shortcuts (if you know how), easy to multi-boot into different OS installs, and the list goes on and on.

7. FlyParrotHead macrumors newbie

Congrats on making a good decision. There is a little bit of a learning curve with the mac, but after a few weeks, you will get the basics of everything and posting tips and tricks on here to other users.