admin account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamcarvell, Jan 20, 2015.

1. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

hi i i am new to mac only recently as last week recieving a mac mini im not sure if i set it up right as it asks for a password to delete stuff and to move files from folder to folder is this normal behaviour ? im the administrator not the guest when signed. when set it up for the first time if i remember correctly i was asked if i would like a password to be set at login so i said yes ?.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep.... sounds like you have it correctly setup and that is totally normal.

3. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

well went get info on each of the folders on external hard drive are read only so changed that to read and write also system drive was read only changed that also no longer get pop ups for password to delete or authentification password to move folders . have i done the right thing with the system drive giving myself permission to read write ? I'm the only one who uses it btw.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should change those settings back and not mess with them. It is setup the way it is for system security to prevent rogue apps and malware etc from installing itself without you knowing it.

5. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

You mean on the system drive ?. Back to read only ?.

6. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Well i put the system back for read only clicked apply before handbrake was finished and that wont run at all now .wont let me re install it again as i dont have enough space ive knackered somthing up what do i do now ?.

7. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Had to change permissions back on the system to allow me read and write again reinstall handbrake finish what was in the queue.
    How do i know if it will now be ok please ?.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

How to know? Reinstall from scratch. There's no way anyone here can know what you've done.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Brian mentioned, without us knowing exactly what you changed, it is thought to know what to tell you to change to get things back to the default.

I agree with Brian's idea to just command-r boot to recovery and reinstall to get things back to default settings. Backup first just to be safe, but this should not erase your data.

10. adamcarvell, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Basically ive gave me the admin read and write permissions on the folders on the external drives so i can now move delete copy without any more requests for my admin password which im ok with .
    But on the machintosh hd system drive i gave my self the same read and write permissions this is the one im unsure i should have set or not whe i go to get info on the system drive my name now can read write permissions is this ok ?. Or should it read (read only) . I think because i performed this as handbrake was finishing i caused that problem to handbrake i have sine changed permissions deleted handbrake and reinstalled it works fine . But the system drive permissions are set at read and write fir me if its ok to leave it then fine thats all i need to know .

11. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

i think when i get home from work i will use disc utilities to repair disc permissions on the drive after it has restarted ok i will then install yosmite as i have not done that yet and leave it alone lesson learnt.

12. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Well got home repaired permissions was same gave read write so i chsnged it to read only then it wouldnt let me open opera as i didnt have permission so currently doing internet recovery

13. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Right done internet recovery but not much changed however safari says could not download handbrake cause there is not eneogh space try deleting documents or diwnloading to anither location same with opera browser. Get info on machintosh hd sharing and permissions it has system wheel everyone but not me ?.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Let's try one more thing.

Do a command-r boot to recovery and from there go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. Then enter resetpassword (all one word) and you will get this screen.

[​IMG]

Select Macintosh HD at the top then your user account in the dropdown. Leave the password fields blank since we don't want to change that. Now click that reset button.

When it is done reboot and see if that helps things.

15. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Right did a quick google search and my home get info was set to read only so changed that to read and write im now able to download software again . In get info on the mac hard drive it has system read and write wheel read only everyone read only .

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is how Macintosh HD is on mine and the default.

[​IMG]

You really should do that process I described to set the user folder permissions correctly.

17. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

ok i will do mine shows the same as yours so that part is now right. i started messing as i was transferring stuff from a pc 250 gb films in wmf mkv format and the mac showed no preview thumbnails as id numbered them and couldn't see what they were so i went about hand-braking them to mp4 but overtime i wanted to move copy or delete anything on my external drive was promoted with authentication password

----------

i see i need to reset acl's ! and what is terminal by the way a bit dos in windows ?
    and one i done that should i upgrade to Yosemite ?. I'm very grateful for your advice by the way panicked last night

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That process not only resets ACLs but will also set all the home folder permissions correctly, which is part of your problem.

Terminal is a window that allows you to enter text commands very much like the old DOS command prompt yes.

19. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

ok i will try that tomorrow at least my ac hard drive is set up and I've got that right.
    Yosemite should i then upgrade to that ?.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is up to you. Some like it and others don't like the new style. I have been pleased with Yosemite. Maybe take a look at the new features and see if anything there appeals to you.

https://www.apple.com/osx/

21. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

did all that last week but i have not beeb asked for password to delete stuff just the usual confirm delete. my home folder as me as read and write permissions just checking that my mac mini is set up as it should be and my homefolder permissions are indeed correct ?.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it would seem you have things set correctly now.

23. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

ok thanks was expecting password requests for every move i make but I'm glad its all set up correctly