Admin login - messed via parental control

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BBasdas, Mar 29, 2010.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

BBasdas

Hi, could not be sure whether the Admin user - password reset with the CD would be the solution to my question as suggested in previous threads I searched - and have no idea where my start up install CD is :(

So my question-

I was trying to put parental control to ask for password when my computer starts up. I did something I guess and messed up the info.

I can log in with my own account when I restart my apple - which says now it is a standard account (must have messed that up)- but can not make any changes on system preferences or anything else that requires login and password. It requires Admin info. My own login that I use now used to be my admin so do not have any other info set.

now on system pref - accounts - an account titled "test" seems to be admin but can not even access that and reverse myself to be the admin since I can not unlock system pref. Or cant click on "Login Options" for the same reason.

There are no other users on this computer than me.

What do I need to do to make myself admin again?

Hope this was somewhat a clear question.

thanks,
    Begum :(

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can try to create a temporary admin account by logging in under single user mode. Here's a write-up. I haven't done this myself before so can't say if there's any gotchas to worry about. Once you have a new admin account you can login with it, change your account back to admin and delete the temp account and maybe even that test account.