Admin login - messed via parental control

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BBasdas, Mar 29, 2010.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

Jul 3, 2006
    Hi, could not be sure whether the Admin user - password reset with the CD would be the solution to my question as suggested in previous threads I searched - and have no idea where my start up install CD is :(

So my question-

I was trying to put parental control to ask for password when my computer starts up. I did something I guess and messed up the info.

I can log in with my own account when I restart my apple - which says now it is a standard account (must have messed that up)- but can not make any changes on system preferences or anything else that requires login and password. It requires Admin info. My own login that I use now used to be my admin so do not have any other info set.

now on system pref - accounts - an account titled "test" seems to be admin but can not even access that and reverse myself to be the admin since I can not unlock system pref. Or cant click on "Login Options" for the same reason.

There are no other users on this computer than me.

What do I need to do to make myself admin again?

Hope this was somewhat a clear question.

Begum :(
  2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

Aug 16, 2005
    You can try to create a temporary admin account by logging in under single user mode. Here's a write-up. I haven't done this myself before so can't say if there's any gotchas to worry about. Once you have a new admin account you can login with it, change your account back to admin and delete the temp account and maybe even that test account.