Admin password asked when opening a .torrent file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Riccardo, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Riccardo macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

I have a bad feeling about what happened some days ago: trying to open a .torrent file (yeah, I know, but for me song's previews offered by iTunes are too short to decide if buy an album or not), I was asked to give the admin password. Quite stupidly, I didn't think more than one second and gave it. Then, an error occurred and I was not able to open the file.

I did not observe, in the following days, any strange behavior. However, I'm asking you if that file could be a spyware/trojan. I'm worrying too much? Oh, I forgot: I have a MacBook Pro fully updated with Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

P.S. At the end, I found the songs on Youtube and bought them on the Store anyway ;)

Thanks for the help,

Riccardo

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Normally a torrent file wouldn't ask for your admin password. I would be concerned. Just keep a tab on your mac, and look out for anything strange.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How big was the torrent file and where did you download it?

4. Riccardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks for the quick reply! What could be your advises? I checked MacScan and LittleSnitch, do you think they could be useful?

That's the strange thing: the file seemed quite normal (it was just some KB; the file icon was the Transmission one; the extension was ".torrent"). I admit I didn't look in depth (cmd-i), my concerns came out when I had a second thought about the file and after I trashed it. Initially I thought it was just a corrupted file. Honestly, I don't remember where I downloaded it from.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Little Snitch could be useful, but the damage could already be done. Its worth a try.

6. Riccardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for asking, could it be a problem of Transmission instead? I mean, I double-clicked the .torrent file, which usually open the program, and then it asked for the password...

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It you have updated recenty then that could have cause it. Like I said just keep an eye out for anything strange.

8. Riccardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok! Thanks again for the help! ;)

9. Riccardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a brief update: neither a full scan with MacScan, nor Little Snitch showed anything which could be related to malicious files or activities. I also kept an eye on my DNSes, and they did not changed (I heard that a trojan exposed this behavior). While using my Mac (especially when navigating), moreover, I could not see strange behaviors. I hope this is a positive signal (if someone could confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated!).

Riccardo