Admin Password Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnificant, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I have a macbook and share it with my wife with each of us having our own accounts.

I am the Admin and I keep getting asked for password when switching for user to user and then login.

Is there a way to remove the password option?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Safety -> General -> Uncheck all you think might block it

Also, see System Preferences -> Accounts

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With fast user switching on, the only time I get asked for the admin password is when I try to shut the machine down or restart with more than 1 person logged in.

Can always set the machine to automatically boot the person when they aren't doing anything, aka set the prefs to log people out when inactive instead of sleep.

4. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I always get asked to password when using fast user switch but wife doesnt. I think we are both admin on macbook

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just tested it. The only time you will be asked for a password when switching between two accounts with fast user switching enabled is if the account you are switching to has a password. This likely means that your wife's account has a password whereas your does not. If you go to Accounts preferences, open the padlock in the lower left, select her account, click Change Password next to her user icon and set the new password to being blank, you can then switch between accounts without needing a password. Know that if you choose to remove the password, that means that whoever turns on the computer will have access to both yours and your wife's accounts and whatever personal data resides on the account(s).

6. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks worked great!