Admin password not accepted in installers/elsewhere

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChristIsLORD, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ChristIsLORD macrumors member

Weird problem, when prompted to input my administrator password when installing software/unlocking things in system prefs/etc when I put my password in and hit return, it doesn't do anything. By this i mean the window goes away with no changes or progression.

I repaired permissions and used keychain first aid but I'm still getting this issue. Any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

Reset the password or changed the password yet?

3. ChristIsLORD thread starter macrumors member

4. simsaladimbamba

How did you reset your password?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, admin account?

5. ChristIsLORD thread starter macrumors member

I just did it in the users pane

I'll create another account and see what happens

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you are logged in to your own account and you are an admin, then putting in your password with your user name already showing in the dialog should be enough. But if you are putting in an admin password for another account, it's best to use the short name for the admin account. Not the user name that might contain blanks but the short name of the admin. If the user name shows on the login screen as Bob Smith, the short name might be bobsmith. Putting in Bob or Bob Smith when logging in as the admin named Bob Smith is not as reliable as putting in bobsmith's account short name.

I've had this problem where my password appeared not to work when doing admin stuff on my wife's machine but when I looked closely at the dialog asking for the password, it wasn't filled in correctly and I had to type my account short name for my admin password to actually work.

7. ChristIsLORD thread starter macrumors member

Damn, tried it (never had to do that before), still didn't work. The weird thing is that it doesn't say the password is invalid or anything, it just kicks me back to wherever I was before. I even tried putting wrong passwords in and the "incorrect password" dialog pops up. This is really frustrating. I don't wanna have to do a restore because of it. :(

Nothing weird in console either. I can also execute sudo commands fine as well.

8. ChristIsLORD thread starter macrumors member

Yikes, before I do a format and reinstall, anyone else have any ideas? Nothing seems to be working at all. :(

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

10. leichann macrumors newbie

hey, did you found a solution to it without restoring? pls answer. thanks :)