Admin rights for network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trey5498, Mar 4, 2009.

1. trey5498 macrumors regular

I know how to add a Mac to Active directory and have Network user be able to log in. However, How do I set it to where AD groups that have admin rights, have admin rights to the macs?

2. manowarwi macrumors member

Can't tell you with the built in plugin, however we do have this feature using AdmitMac by Thursby software. It gives a lot more options than the standard Apple plugin.

3. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone know the built in one? I work for a major university and we dont want to spend any extra money.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Well if you have to join the Macs to the domain anyway, why not just create a MacAdmin group, and allow them to control the Macs while you're adding them?

5. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

All I have been able to find is how to add a objects for each mac, however nothing about how to set up a admin group for Macs, any idea of where to find the documentation on how to do it?

6. manowarwi macrumors member

Looking at the built in plugin, if you click Show Advanced Options and then go to the Administrative tab, there is a check box to Allow administration by: and you can enter in your domain groups that you want to administer the Mac.

If you are scripting your binding using dsconfigad via command line, there is then a switch that allows you to auto add this group at the time of bind

7. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular