Administrative Privileges Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Crazysah, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Crazysah macrumors member

Hello,

So when my friend gave me his laptop to use for a few months he also gave me admin access to the computer on a new user account.

The problem I'm having is that I can't install programs/install newer versions. I'm trying to install Google Chrome and every time I move the install icon into the applications folder it gives me this error:
    The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items. How do I change this?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Thanks,
    Crazysah

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the new user account does not have admin rights.

3. Crazysah thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, he did give me admin rights. Even in the user accounts section it does say Admin under my account.

The thing is, I can install new programs (so delete and install) but I can't replace existing applications.

4. dakhein macrumors member

Try checking the folder permissions or running Disk Utility - Repair Permissions. Get Info from Applications folder should list "admin" as Read & Write as well. If not click the Lock icon to initiate change process.

5. Crazysah thread starter macrumors member

Repair permissions? What exactly does that do? I'll check the Applications Folder and let you know.