Administrator account is gone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, Nov 5, 2010.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Here's the situation… stick with me :)

1) I had two user accounts: one standard, one admin. I had "hidden" the admin account from prying eyes using some Terminal commands (see here if you're interested: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1228912)

2) some months later, I enabled the Open Firmware Password (hence, I can no longer boot into single user mode, boot from CD, etc)

3) at some point, I inadvertently reinstalled OS X (don't ask… or do, I'll explain if necessary)

4) when logging in, I ONLY have my standard account. My hidden admin account seems to be gone. OS X won't even accept the admin login/pwd when attempting to execute admin-only commands from within the standard account

With the combined effect of not having admin access and having enabled the Open Firmward Password, I can't even get to the point where I can do a clean install on the machine (where I would then restore from Time Machine). I'm really stuck… any advice?

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

There is nothing at the other end of that link about Terminal or hiding accounts.

Considering the ramifications of item 2... accomplishing item 3 must have involved an exercise very similar to what you're trying to achieve right now in this thread. Why not just repeat that step 3 process again? (instead of explaining it)

Okay, but the important info missing in all this is: why don't you simply disable the firmware password and proceed normally. [?]