Administrator Account Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iDavid., Nov 17, 2007.

1. iDavid. macrumors newbie

After upgrading to Leopard, when I try to install or update any program on my computer it asks for the Administrator username and password. Well that should not be a problem seeing as how I am the administrator and so I type in my name and my password and it says "you must type an administrator's name and password to make changes to software update." So I went to system settings and checked and it no longer has my account as the administrator and I can't make any changes because I am not the administrator no more. After installing Leopard, this has happened. What should I do? (I am fairly new to Macs, I have had my Macbook about 3 months.)

Another note: I also noticed that my Macbook (when I shut it) has started to wake itself up from sleep mode and stay that way while it's still closed!:(

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Just to get the conspiracy angle out of the way, does anyone else have access to these machines?

Oh, and does your main computer have another account that is an admin or does it not have any admin accounts anymore?

3. iDavid. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Nobody else has access to it. And from what I can tell, there is no longer an admin account anymore.

MacJack1 thanks for the link, I'll give that a try.

4. einsiol macrumors newbie

Your Leopard disc

You can reset the main password for your macine with the setup disk, just start your computer with the disk.

5. creatureattack macrumors newbie

cannot login as "other"

I'm having this same issue; reinstalled to find my account stripped of its admin privileges. Now there aren't any admin accounts on the machine.

I've successfully reset my root password using the boot disc, but I can't complete Apple's process because when I try to login there is only a single account to choose from; my standard one, not the "Other..." that I'm told to log in under.

Any suggestions? How can I log is as the root user when I can't log in as anyone other than my non-admin account?

6. BrookeAckerson macrumors newbie

Same Problem!

I am having the same problem. But when i login to my root user, it lets me check the box to change my main account to administrator, but then when i log out and back into the other one, it is not checked. Nor will it let me lock the settings for my main account in the root user. Anyone know how to fix this? :(

7. phatqao macrumors member

phatqao

you can make yourself an admin from single-user mode using dscl

$: dscl . append /Groups/admin GroupMembership <yourname>
    $: dscl . create /Users/<yourname> PrimaryGroupID 80

8. BrookeAckerson macrumors newbie

And how would i go about getting into single-user mode using dscl? sorry i can navigate how to get around things pretty well, but i have no clue how to do what you just said. :)

9. phatqao macrumors member

phatqao

Just a precaution: you SHOULD NOT use single-user mode unless you are familiar with the command line, as it is easy to badly screw up your computer.

but this site is very helpful, follow these instructions to the letter and you should be ok

http://www.nerdlogger.com/2009/02/how-to-get-admin-rights-in-osx-leopard.html

edit: the important parts if you want to make an existing account an admin are the lines i mentioned in my previous post

Code:
    $: dscl . append /Groups/admin GroupMembership <yourname>
    $: dscl . create /Users/<yourname> PrimaryGroupID 80