Administrator Account Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krause734, May 25, 2011.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I have been using one administrator account on Snow Leopard on my iMac. I have read that it is better to run a standard account for whatever reason especially with this new MacDefender scare. Can anyone explain to me why this is necessary? I know that it is probably more secure.

Also, what is the best way to copy all of my settings, iTunes library, photos, etc. to a new standard account?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

from Malware vs mac user accounts

3. Rowf macrumors regular

To create a standard user account:

Use your current admin account to create another admin account and then change your current admin account to standard user via the newly created admin account.

No need to copy anything, your current admin account will become the standard account.
    There aren't really any benefits to it if you are the only user of your mac.

Follow the post by simsaladimbamba to find out why.

You might find this of use as well:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1158324

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You've been told wrong. There is no inherent advantage to running as a standard user under OS X, and it creates unnecessary hassle when doing many tasks. Simply use your computer the way it was designed to run.

jW

5. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502

krause734

Good info

Thanks for the responses, I will just stick with the Admin account then. I wasn't really worried about the MacDefender, but I was curious if there were any other advantages to using a standard login.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There aren't any. It's perfectly fine to run as an admin user.