Administrator - Education Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J.McM, Apr 14, 2010.

1. J.McM macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying I'm not 100% sure that this the right section for this, feel free to move this if necessary.

I am a chartered accountant and work for Churchill College (Cambridge University). I am part of the administrative team of the college and am confused as to whether or not I am entitled to the education discount.

If anyone can clarify the matter i will be most appreciative,
    James.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You qualify, but probably as an "other staff member."

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Agreed. The US has the same lack of consistency for admin-types in the fine print, but happily sells to those who make the place run.

4. J.McM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your fast replies, and for clearing up the matter :)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You should be fine. The Apple Store employees aren't told to scrutinize anyone that has a valid I.D., I imagine it's something like: do they have an I.D. - good.

If not just call Apple, what's the worst that can happen?

6. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Has anybody gotten an education discount even though not really qualified? Do they really check I.D.s?:cool: Is it worth it?

7. KevKaos macrumors 6502

First off, that would be fraud, and I don't think this board supports those talks.

On the flip side, I got my government discount (legally) but I wasn't pressed to hard for details.

8. MisterEMann macrumors newbie

MisterEMann

OP- you most certainly can get a discount. My mother works in the Careers service for Cambridge University, and gets an apple discount as an administrative worker.

9. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

They asked my friend for his school ID, which he doesn't have. So they had him log into his online grade thing, I guess they also could have you check your school email.. Just log in that's it.

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I know here in the UK, when I got my MBP on a Family Member's education discount, they wanted a photograph of their Student ID before they would sell me it. They did however say they would place the order, have it shipped and then give me 30 days to submit the ID, otherwise I'd be charged the rest of the money.

11. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

I am a college administrator and recently purchased my iMac from the Apple Store. Even thought I'm entitled to the education discount, I was never asked to prove it. Odd.

12. veoseo macrumors newbie

How much is the Discount in the UK

Anyone have any idea if there is a (consistent) discount on the MBP? And how much would it be?

Thanks

13. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

I've purchased a few Macs in the physical and online Apple store and have received my educators discount. I am an administrator/staff at a college and it is absolutely true that we qualify for this discount. Sometimes they have asked me for proof, other times they haven't asked at all. It seems that the discount in the US seems to always be $100 on the MBP. You can always see the discount by clicking the Education Store option and all prices shown will include the discount. You also can check on education discounts on some other Apple products as well (some software, AppleCare and some accessories).

My question is, how does Apple enforce their stated policy of only allowing an individual to purchase one notebook using the educator's discount per academic year? Has anyone ever run into a problem with this before?

14. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I'm a qualified college student. I just ordered online and all I had to do was:

1. know my school's zip code
    2. check a box saying that I've read the terms and conditions of that discount.

Nothing else. But it's the first time I use the discount. I don't think they'll try to verify anything. Weird, I know.