Adobe Acrobat X Pro out only two weeks after purchase of version 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bengt77, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Two weeks ago I ordered Adobe Creative Suite 5, which includes Acrobat 9 Pro. Today Acrobat X Pro was released. I opened a support case to inform myself whether or not there would be an offer for people like me who have bought the previous version such a short while ago. I'm not here to complain, but wanted to inform anybody who is in the same situation.

This is what I wrote:

"I ordered Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard, including Acrobat 9 Pro, on October 5. That's less than two weeks ago. Today, Acrobat X Pro was released. The official upgrade price from version 9 is $199, I saw earlier today. My main question is, whether or not there will be a way to upgrade to this version for free. Seeing how short the time between my purchase and the release of this new version of Acrobat Pro is, such an upgrade offer could be expected, one might think.

What is Adobe's view on this matter? What will be done for the people who bought Acrobat 9 Pro – or a version of Creative Suite 5 containing the former product – in the last couple of weeks? I'm interested in hearing about that."

And this is Adobe's reply:

"Dear Bengt77,

Thanks for contacting Adobe.

I understand your disappointment, but I am sorry to inform you that the only possibility is to buy an upgrade for the official upgrade price.

We will close this case, because we think your question has been answered. However this case can be reopened within 28 days. If you would reopen this case, then please refer to the following case-number: XXXXXXXXX. We hope that you will take a moment to click the survey link in this e-mail message to give us feedback about our support.

Kind Regards,
    Lucien Gardier
    Adobe technical support"

So anybody who (very) recently bought either Acrobat 9 Pro – or a Creative Suite that contains the application – is out of luck. No cheap upgrades for us. :(

That's it; I have nothing more to say, really.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, Acrobat Pro seems to have been on a completely different release schedule from the Creative Suite for some time, possibly one geared to business, rather than creative demands. Shame that Adobe can't extend a reduced upgrade price for a short period. Can completely understand why you're disappointed, although zdnet doesn't think it's a major upgrade.

I won't be in a hurry to get the latest version; it doesn't seem to offer much more for designers. Could still probably get by with Acrobat Pro v6, the last full boxed copy I paid for with my own money, instead of getting copies from various workplaces.

3. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

That indeed seems to be the case. Alas, there's nothing we can do about it. Reading that ZDNet article, I'm glad that version 9 actually was considered to be a major upgrade. And for now, I'm certainly fine with using Acrobat 9 Pro.