Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
I know a while back well a few years ago I bought a Dell desktop and was able to get like an OEM copy of Adobe Acrobat DC. I have tried to get that license moved to my ne MacBook but its to old of a version to run on MacOS.

I would like to know if there is a way to get an OEM version for the MacOS. I only use it every once in a while and am needing to creat a few documents (forms) and with my MacBook I do not want to have to spend a subscription price of 4 to 500 bucks.

I remember buying it from Dell for around $100

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm not aware of any OEM Acrobat licenses. The version you purchased from Dell was most likely a Windows version which is not going to work on macOS anyway. Luckily, Acrobat is the only Adobe product remaining that can be purchased outright without being forced into a subscription model. Prices vary between $120 for the Student & Teacher edition and $450 for the full-fledged commercial edition of Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Didn’t realize that Apple sold it but they do have an OEM copy

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKW12ZM/A/adobe-acrobat-pro-dc
Nope, that's not an OEM copy. That's a prepaid 12 month subscription. It will stop working after a year if you don't renew your subscription.

The DC in the name refers to Adobe's "Document Cloud", a fancy name for their subscription model (just like their creative software subscription model is referred to as CC, or Creative Cloud). The edition you can purchase is from 2017 and referred to as "Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017" or "Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017". The latter costs around $450, the former around $300.

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
Nope, that's not an OEM copy. That's a prepaid 12 month subscription. It will stop working after a year if you don't renew your subscription.

The DC in the name refers to Adobe's "Document Cloud", a fancy name for their subscription model (just like their creative software subscription model is referred to as CC, or Creative Cloud). The edition you can purchase is from 2017 and referred to as "Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017" or "Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017". The latter costs around $450, the former around $300.

Well that’s no good. Wish the copy I have would work on MacOS.

Guess I will just have to get the subscription.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I have some need to edit PDF documents and have purchased and use Readdle PDF Expert instead of subscribing to Adobe Acrobat. It may not have all the features but serves my needs.

Reactions: shamelin73

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
You may want to get a Transactional Licensing Program (TLP) license for Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 (DC) for Mac. You are probably eligible for an upgrade of your Acrobat DC version or some other Acrobat version, starting from Acrobat XI. Don't worry about volume or enterprise license. You don't need to be an enterprise and the minimum volume you can buy is starting from one. Though I can recommend buying through an Adobe Authorized Reseller.
https://www.adobe.com/howtobuy/buying-programs/clp-tlp.html

If you don't want to upgrade, did you try downloading the Acrobat Pro DC installer for Mac and activate it with your Windows based serial number?
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Reactions: shamelin73

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
You may want to get a Transactional Licensing Program (TLP) license for Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 (DC) for Mac. You are probably eligible for an upgrade of your Acrobat DC version or some other Acrobat version, starting from Acrobat XI. Don't worry about volume or enterprise license. You don't need to be an enterprise and the minimum volume you can buy is starting from one. Though I can recommend buying through an Adobe Authorized Reseller.
https://www.adobe.com/howtobuy/buying-programs/clp-tlp.html

If you don't want to upgrade, did you try downloading the Acrobat Pro DC installer for Mac and activate it with your Windows based serial number?
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Will try this when I get home.

Reactions: organicCPU

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Acrobat Pro DC requires an Adobe account to install. There is no way to activate it with an existing Windows serial number. You might be eligible for an upgrade though, that could do the trick.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
There is no way to activate it with an existing Windows serial number.
This might be true. However, if upgrading to a TLP license, one will get two different serial numbers for Win and Mac to choose which one to use.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Still, those are two completely different things. When upgrading to a TLP license you get a perpetual license for Acrobat Pro (or Acrobat Standard) 2017. You, on the other hand, were referring to Acrobat DC, which is the Adobe's Document Cloud version (hence DC) of Acrobat, and therefore requires an active subscription and an Adobe account for installation and activation.

Unlike the Standard 2017 or Pro 2017 versions Acrobat DC does not come with a serial number.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Adobe itself has been marketing Acrobat Pro 2015 and 2017 as Acrobat DC (even if you won't get access to Document Cloud features). From https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html
If you no longer have the installation media of Acrobat DC (Non-subscription, serial number based), you can download the replacement installer from this page.
I know that's just a naming convention and you're right concerning the different available versions.

Reactions: mj_

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
Thank you all for the help. I may just need to do the subscription option and also found where you can get a 30 day use of it but for more coin. Since I don't use it but 2 to 3 times a year it will be work the one month option a couple times a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.