Adobe After Effects Vs. Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by firstapple, Nov 2, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Good Afternoon (Where I am anyways),

I have been asking a lot of questions around here lately, but that is because I am new to the Digital Video forum here...

I have the opportunity to purchase the following:

CS3 Production Premium for Mac OS X (After Effects Pro, Encore, Flash Pro, Illustrator, Photoshop Extended, Premiere Pro, & Soundbooth): $150

Final Cut Studio 2: $499

I know that there is a new version (CS4) out from Adobe, which is why I can get this so cheap through my school. My question is, how close in resemblance are these two suites? I have a Canon HV20 HDV Camcorder and I am looking to be able to capture and edit the best home videos I possibly can.

What do you all think? The biggest thing I am looking at here is After Effects vs. Final Cut Pro.

Thanks!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

After Effects and FCP are not the same type of programs...

Compare FCP with Premier and After Effects with Apple Motion.

For $150, go with the CS3 suite.

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hey there, thanks! I was leaning towards CS3 since it is only $150, as I thought that was a great deal. The biggest issue is with my camcorder and the way it records in "24p". In order to get the best quality out of it, FCP or After Effects is recommended.

4. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

^ Exactly. Final Cut is an editor, After Effects a compositor. You're comparing apples and oranges.

FWIW, I don't think Motion is a particularly fantastic compositor, it's more for creating motion graphics. After Effects and Shake would probably be a more valid comparison.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

24p doesn't have anything to do with the quality of video. It is just a framerate. It is edited the same way as standard DV. You will not notice any difference in the workflow for 24p.

Again talking about editing, you'll work in either FCP or Adobe Premier (not AE).

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

get both. Final Cut Pro is a lot better IMO then premier... After effects, Flash, photoshop and illustrator will come in handy down the line.
    Or at those prices see which one you like if money is an issue and sell the other.

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the OP is just going to edit home videos... Premier will be fine for them.