Adobe After Effects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brian9271, May 29, 2008.

1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hi, I am wondering if anyone could share some links, on where i can get muzzle flashes, lightsabers, stuff like that, for free, also I am wondering whether it would work if I added effects from iMovie into the effects file for Adobe After Effects, thanks

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

videocopilot.net is a great site for after effects tutorials and stuff.

i know there are 2 lightsaber tutorials and at least 1 about gun shots/muzzle flashes.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

http://www.detonationfilms.com/ has got some great muzzle flashes and explosions to use (lots for free, and even more for a fairly low price).

...and I'd like to second the recommendation for Video Copilot - the tutorials on that site have been incredibly useful to me.

4. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Thanks guys, I've heard of Detonation Films, pretty good

5. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Oh by the way guys, when I do playback, its really slow and it laggs, i set the frame rate to 60 already, is it because of my Mac, with programs running? Or is it just the way I recorded it, I filmed a clip in iMovie HD, no lagg, nothing, really smooth stuff, but when it comes to using Adobe After Effects its just really slow, any help would be nice.

6. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

This is playing back video after you've applied effects to it/have more than one layer in the comp, presumably?

I'm afraid this is just the ways things are; After Effects needs to render every frame again after you alter it. Unless you're running some seriously beasty hardware, you're just gonna have to wait it out.

For smoother playback, RAM preview is your friend ;)

7. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Thanks for the help, that is exactly what I did, but maximum rendering is only up to 15 secs, how do you change that, cuze I wanna do maximum, also when importing clips, only can do 30 secs, how do I do maximum?

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you buy more RAM

the length of a RAM preview is entirely dependent on the amount of RAM in your computer.

9. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

That kinda sucks then, the other day I had a look at the settings, but I'm not sure, I suppose I will just have to split the clips to 30 secs each, thanks anyway.

10. xstorm101 macrumors newbie

Another option to render more swiftly is to use Proxies in After Effects. Check the help file for an elaborate explantation. Basically a proxy is a movie that is of lower quality than the original movie, so it takes less cpu/ram/time to render. It's safe, because when exporting the final product, the proxy movie is rendered at its original quality.

11. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

12. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

I guess Adobe After Effects is only made to do effects only for short clips.

13. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Not at all.

Pros use it but Pros have lots of Ram

I have 8GB in My Mac Pro, and it uses all of it, when rendering.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nah, he was just talking about RAM preview. Your computer might only be able to preview 30 seconds in RAM, but you can make the project as long as you want. When you export the final clip, it will fully render.

15. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Really, how? When I import, I am only able to do maximum 30 secs, so as exporting, do you know how to change it in the settings?

16. dcr macrumors member

Sounds like you're leaving the Composition duration at its default (30 seconds). Change your composition's duration here: Composition > Composition Settings > Duration. Or drag an imported movie to the "New Comp" icon to make a composition that matches the settings of your clip.

17. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

I see, thanks guys for the help once again.