Adobe AIR apps break the media player!!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by badhorsy, May 30, 2010.

1. badhorsy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I posted yesterday stating that I was having trouble with the iPad media player.

What was happening was that if I opened the WIRED app, I was able to view the video content as normal. If I then closed the app (via the home button) and re-opened it, the video content would no longer play (I could 'buffer' through it, but whenever I hit the play button nothing happens). What was more disturbing was that this seemed to affect other apps that have video also, i.e. if I open the WIRED app, play some video, hit the home button, then open the Guardian eye witness app, the video content in the Guardian no longer works.
    If I uninstall the wired app, or restart the iPad this is not the case.

I'm starting to think this is something to do with Adobe AIR, and that when the apps are getting closed, they are not shutting down a media player component correctly.

Is this happening to anyone else?

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

The iPad won't run adobe air so I'm thinking it has nothing to do with that...

3. badhorsy thread starter macrumors newbie

The WIRED app was originally written in Adobe Air, and then converted (using Adobe tools) to the mobile platform.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Ok, but the iPad isn't running AIR, it's running the Wired app natively. It could be the app is poorly coded ( though I've never seen this issue) but it can't be an "AIR on the iPad" issue.

5. badhorsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure - I totally see you're point.

I still think it's really weird that only Wired and Popular Science seem to be having this unusual effect on video playback.

Has anyone else had any problems like this when using either of those apps?

(A simple way to test is just to open the Wired app, watch the 'Toy Story' clip, then hit the home key and try to do the same again...)

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I just tried your test and sure enough - I have the same issue. That's really odd. I even killed the Wired app (on/off + home) and the video still won't play. Very strange.

7. badhorsy thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh, it's weird isn't it!

I also found that if I tried to watch video content in either the Guardian Eyewitness app, or the Wall Street Journal app, after performing that test, their video content would have stopped working also...

Bizarre!