Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced the launch of its newest Creative Cloud app, Adobe Experience Design, otherwise known as Adobe XD. Previously referred to as "Project Comet," Adobe XD is designed to address the pain points in creative workflows with an end-to-end experience for designers that encompasses designing, prototyping, and sharing.

With Adobe XD, designers can create, test, and share mockups with simple, intuitive tools. XD aims to make design the focus of the UX creation process by simplifying tools for designers and eliminating the need to work with multiple third-party apps.

adobexdmain-800x502.jpg

The app includes art boards that are available in standard sizes for devices like the iPhone or iPad, as well as custom sizes. Multiple art boards can be included in a single document, so designs for a range of devices can be mocked up in the same document. Built-in UI kits for iOS and Android give designers quick access to UI elements like panels, icons, controls, and more, so apps and other projects can be mocked up within minutes.

adobexddesignoptions-800x468.jpg

There are clever tools for things like adding vector artwork and icons, such as a repeat grid tool for adding lists of repeated items and a masking option for quick image insertion. Prototyping a design can be done by switching to an interactive prototype mode, which allows designers to use "wires" to connect different art boards together to replicate how a user experience might work in an app.

adobexdprototyping-800x450.jpg

Assets from Adobe XD can be exported into apps like Muse and Dreamweaver, as well as third-party tools for creating native iOS and Android applications. There are also sharing tools for getting quick feedback on design elements.

Adobe XD is available for Mac users starting today as part of a public preview. The software has been in closed testing with 5,000 designers who have provided feedback for feature adjustments, and Adobe is now ready to open it up to additional users. Public preview users will be able to request features and submit bug reports, with Adobe using that information to determine the features and updates that get added to the software each month.

adobexdsamplelayout-800x443.jpg

While Adobe XD is limited to Mac users at the current time, Adobe has plans to expand it to other platforms like iOS, Android, and Windows in the future. Additional integration with other Creative Cloud apps is also planned. Adobe XD is free to anyone with an Adobe ID and more information is available on Adobe's website.

Article Link: Adobe Announces New 'Adobe XD' Creative Cloud App for End-to-End UX Design

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
If i sign in to download it, I get a page that says 'Experience Design CC (Preview) is downloading now...' but it doesn't do anything....

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I use Sketch almost all day, everyday. Has been my main tool for almost a year now.

Adobe XD feels smooth and fluid. Panning and zooming in Sketch can become a pain when you have complex documents but in this XD thing it feels awesome. And the Prototype part is really amazing.

Good work Adobe, it almost doesn't feel like an Adobe app.

EDIT. Wow, the Repeat Grid tool is really cool.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Illustrator and sketch. Almost everything besides photos is (should be) vector now on web.
Sure but I've always used PS for mockups and then translated that to vector CSS etc

edit: holy sh these apps are amazing

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I wish they'd used this to fix the atrocious UX in the latest Photoshop update. Looks like the curse of the "my first UI" is following into this app as well however.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
First, good to see a clean Adobe interface. Photoshop and Illustrator interfaces and menu structure are atrocious cluttered messes by today's standards. Saying that I use Illustrator to mock things up quickly. Watched a WWDC video recently showing Keynote as a tool for mocking up UX design which also looks like a smart alternative.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Ok so I'm in love with Sketch, but what does Adobe Emoticon do? Is it just for very simple wireframing?

If it had a bunch more PS features (and features from Sketch) so I could actually design that'd be great.

[To be fair I've only given it five minutes of my time]

Mike London

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2003
UK
I use Sketch almost all day, everyday. Has been my main tool for almost a year now.

Adobe XD feels smooth and fluid. Panning and zooming in Sketch can become a pain when you have complex documents but in this XD thing it feels awesome. And the Prototype part is really amazing.

Good work Adobe, it almost doesn't feel like an Adobe app.

EDIT. Wow, the Repeat Grid tool is really cool.
[doublepost=1458068356][/doublepost]
x:D)

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Finally! As a designer I truly appreciate this. Can't wait to purchase.

Unfortunately, you won't be purchasing anything. If you wish to play with XD (an idiotic name, by the way xD ), you'll have to subscribe to CC.

If you wish to buy an UX app, you'll be better suited with waiting for Serif to produce a clone of it and add it to their Affinity suite (they do offer a Windows-only webdesign app, WebPlus, and since they're discontinuing the Plus suite, maybe some of its developers will end up writing a replacement app instead of focusing exclusively on Windows ports).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.