Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Buy Elements 6 as part of a Wacom bundle

Hurray! Finally! How long have we been waiting for this? I'm still ploughing on with PSE 2.0 on my Mac. I like the no-nonsense interface in 2.0, don't need the most comsumerist facilities in the later versions, but will very much welcome the speed from the native code.

I was using 2 also. But I bought a new Wacom tablet and 4 was included "free". So I upgraded. The basic editing interface, selection tools and layers all work better in 4 then in 2. Yes, 4 has new features I don't use but it was worth it.

I'd suggest waiting a wile to buy Elements 6. Soon Wacom will have Elements 6 bundled with their "Bamboo Fun" tablet.. the bundle will sell for $100. Only $20 more then buying Elements alone. They also include Corel Painter Essentials in the bundle which I like

The Bamboo tablet is well worth $20. However the higher end intous tablet is better because t senses not only pressure but the orientation of the pen so with it you can rotate a flat brash to make thin or fat lines, or "feather" an airbrush. With the bamboo tablet all pens and brushes are treated as if they are exactly vertical even if you hold them at an angle to the surface. But for $20 over the price of elements alone well worth it.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
It's £45.82 to upgrade from a previous licensed version of Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop LE, or Adobe PhotoDeluxe.

£57.58 on the Adobe site for the upgrade, which is more than I paid for the full licence version of PSE 4

Where have you seen it for £45.82? Some dodgy shop in Dudley??? :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
PSE 6.0 sounds good to me.

But I hope Pixelmator gets unlocked in the macheist.com bundle. Even if not i might go for it separately.

I hope they use the remaining month to further develop Pixelmator and maybe drop the price a bit. It's a good application and could become a good alternative to Adobe's "monopol" for most of us.

John Purple

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I'll wait and see if Aperture 2.0 comes around at MWSF and what features it will have :rolleyes:
OK, it's a lot more expensive but does never change your original pictures, it's a professional tool for photographers to manage 10.000s of pictures (and will hopefully come in Version 2.0 similar tools as PSE). And to be honest, what is it worth to have a $ 2500++ hardware with $ 90 software???

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Let's go easy on Adobe guys - the first shipping intel macs were only 2 years ago. And you know, developers were hardly informed of the switch
that's sarcasm if anybody is feeling very dense today
that said - I will probably get this

Oh please, we are talking about a multi-billion dollar company, they don't need that much notice, they could have done this a long while ago. What pisses me off about Adobe is that they will go out of their way to make the latest versions of their software on Windows but they leave Mac users in the cold and decide to make it sometime in the future as if they were doing us a favor.
We are customers for goodness sake.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have used Photoshop a lot in the past, but for layering and effects and such, does Elements do this kind of stuff. I don't have Pro printing needs, but I do have Pro editing needs. Would love to save some $$ as PS CS3 ain't cheap.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Go go go Adobe! If they hurry up, they may release it before Apple switch from Intel to Cell Processors.
Adobe still says Macintosh. I haven't heard of a Mac called that in a long time. It is sort of like calling Ben "Obi-Wan Kenobi".
Adobe are obviously fans of the prequel trilogy. Can't say I'm surprised.

SL

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
So, how would I go about upgrading from Elements 1 (OS 9) to Elements 6. Will I just need a previous installation key?

You probably can't. Adobe normally only let you jump three versions for upgrades; more than that and you just need to buy it again. I don't know specifically about Elements, but that's definitely how it works with Photoshop.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

this should run ok on a 1.8 c2d mini with 1.5gb of ram right?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

Use both, keep the images orginized in iPhoto, but set them to be edited in Elements.

Elements provides a lot more edits and a lot more controls. Like day and night. If all you want to do is make it darker or lighter, iPhoto is all you need. If you want to replace backgrounds, combine images, add texture to areas of a photo, create multi layer photos, then Elements is the way to go.

Seems Element 6 now allows you to organize your photos, but it is unclear how it interfaces with the rest of Apple products, so for now I would suggest to keep the photos in iPhoto and edit in Elements.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

I bought Elements about a year ago and frankly I find myself using iPhoto '08 on a daily basis. I guess for me it is much easier and more intuative. Then again, I don't consider myself a photo imaging power user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.