Adobe Application Move?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by b2000b, Mar 20, 2010.

1. b2000b macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to mac I just moved to my mac mini 2 mouths ago. I move for the sole reason of using the Adobe CS4. However, I have now filled up my 80gb hard drive (mac mini) and want to move some files around. I have a large 1TB drive foe my mac (not a time machine a storage drive) and i was wondering if I could move the adobe applications from the application folder to a folder on the drive. I know on windows this would not be possible unless you uninstall and reinstall on the other drive. I have heard rummer that a application on a mac is the single e file in the application folder.

Is moving the programs possible?
    Dose it depend on the programs I'm trying to move (cs4 master collection in my case)?
    If so is there any special "thing" I need to do?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With most applications it is possible, but not really advisable.

Better to move your personal files to the external, as the speed of accessing applications on an external depends on the connection between HDD and Mac.

If you have USB, then that is not more than 30MB/s, if you have FW400 it is around 40MB/s, if you have FW800 it is around 65-70MB/s.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not advisable to move applications from the Applications folder. Many apps won't work outside the folder in which they were installed. Also, many components could fail if they don't find the app where it's expected to be. You're better off moving user files than system, library or application files.

4. b2000b thread starter macrumors newbie

Then can I move the...

Can I move the downloads floder and the documents folder? If so how do I It can't be as simple as just drag and drop