Adobe apps detecting wrong GPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nxfxcom, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

so i just got my new machine, and i have 3 Video cards for my setup, one is the radeon HD 5870 and then 2x the GT120.

My Primary Screens use the Powerfull HD 5870, my extra screens run on the GT120s,
    so now i work with AE in my primary screen, which is running on the HD 5870. But when i go to my open GL info (same issue in PS) it shows it is using the much smaller GT120 (see attached screens)

How do i get AE to use the more powerfull HD5870 instead?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. seek3r macrumors 6502

My shot in the dark: Adobe's GPU accelerated apps utilize CUDA. While that won't effect straight opengl work directly, I wouldn't be surprised if on start the software checks for a CUDA capable card, and uses that as the default card for *all* operations (including opengl) if one is available.

3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i was worried about something like that! I have a 6 screen setup, and need to extra cards, but i want to use the memory of the new card, maybe i just have to wait till the Quadro 4000 or buy a fx4800

4. goMac macrumors 603

After Effects does not use CUDA, only Premiere CS5.

Sounds like an After Effects bug. Adobe's software quality has really gone downhill, and I know of quite a few After Effects bugs in the wild.

Edit: I'm showing the EXACT same issue in AE CS5. It's running on my GeForce 8800, but it's preferring my GeForce 120 driving my second display. Bug bug bug bug.... If only Motion was better. :-\

5. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Sh...

i have been looking around and no luck so far, PS is doing the exact same thing.

Anybody else any ideas?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe remove all the cards, but the 5870; run your apps and have them default to the 5870; then shutdown, put the GT120s back in, and reboot.

7. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that already, it worked fine only with one card installed, but once i put the GTs back in, i had the same problem!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's weird; that fixed it for me…

Of course I don't have a 5870 either.

9. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know what the video card; I just don't own it ;)

I have a GTX285; when I had this issue all I did was remove the GT120, retry PS, and then reboot with the GT120 installed.

EDIT: I see. I typed "know" instead of "own"