Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/on-lightroom-performance.html

On Lightroom Performance

I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority. We have a history, starting with our first public beta, of working with our customers to address workflow and feature needs, and we’d like to take that same approach regarding your performance concerns. We already understand many of the current pain points around GPU, import performance, certain editing tasks and review workflows and are investing heavily in improving those areas. Over the past year we’ve added numerous enhancements to address your performance concerns but we understand we will have a lot of work to do to meet your expectations. If you have feedback or would like to work with the Lightroom team on your most pressing issues, please fill out this survey.

So if you tired of the miserably slow Lr performance rendering previews, exporting....etc., now is the time to let them know what you think!

Reactions: kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/on-lightroom-performance.html

On Lightroom Performance

I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority. We have a history, starting with our first public beta, of working with our customers to address workflow and feature needs, and we’d like to take that same approach regarding your performance concerns. We already understand many of the current pain points around GPU, import performance, certain editing tasks and review workflows and are investing heavily in improving those areas. Over the past year we’ve added numerous enhancements to address your performance concerns but we understand we will have a lot of work to do to meet your expectations. If you have feedback or would like to work with the Lightroom team on your most pressing issues, please fill out this survey.

So if you tired of the miserably slow Lr performance rendering previews, exporting....etc., now is the time to let them know what you think!
Don't they want to hear I hate paying for things monthly, but they don't bother updating my current latest copy?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I don't think any of need to hear another rant about Adobe pricing models or development schedules. If you don't think Adobe CC is good value, move on. I plan to do that by the end of the year.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't think any of need to hear another rant about Adobe pricing models or development schedules. If you don't think Adobe CC is good value, move on. I plan to do that by the end of the year.
Sorry! Nothing to do with value, just a lifestyle choice. I don't like paying for things monthly, so generally I don't.

As for moving on I doubt there are going to be many stand alone purchases you can make in a few years. Capture One Pro is already heading the same way.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I just filled it out before seeing this thread. I found the questions sort of lacking, though. The "what version are you running?" was particularly dumb since CC or 10.1 was not an option and I had to google to see that it is synonymous with 6.10.

I doubt much good will come of it, but one can only hope.

georgeinnj

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Sorry! Nothing to do with value, just a lifestyle choice. I don't like paying for things monthly, so generally I don't.

As for moving on I doubt there are going to be many stand alone purchases you can make in a few years. Capture One Pro is already heading the same way.

I've been playing around with ON1 raw and affinity and they've improved quite a bit over this year almost to the point where their edit functions are almost up to Lightroom level

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

Depends on what the Luminar and Affinity Photo DAM projects deliver. I am pulling for Luminar myself.
[doublepost=1499947028][/doublepost]
I've been playing around with ON1 raw and affinity and they've improved quite a bit over this year almost to the point where their edit functions are almost up to Lightroom level

For me it is a matter of trust with On1. Dan promised auto lens correction for m43 systems and did not deliver. He also promised a migration tool for moving Lr sidecars to Photo RAW. That was dropped. Layers is not non-destructive although it is in their development plans to do that. Check if they support camera profiles using standard .dci files. Both Lr and Pictorial do that. That allows you to pick which interpretation of the raw data you want to use to begin the post processing.

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
Depends on what the Luminar and Affinity Photo DAM projects deliver. I am pulling for Luminar myself.

I may be well out of the loop, but last I read Affinity DAM project was on hold / not having much time thrown at it in favour of their current iOS domination? I've been using Photo Mechanic to tag into LR and PM is truly exceptional when cutting a shoot down in terms of fully rendered images being instant.

Reactions: macintoshmac

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I may be well out of the loop, but last I read Affinity DAM project was on hold / not having much time thrown at it in favour of their current iOS domination? I've been using Photo Mechanic to tag into LR and PM is truly exceptional when cutting a shoot down in terms of fully rendered images being instant.

I also have PM and it is very good and fast for importing in the file system, browsing, culling and filling out metadata fields. But as it is a seperate app that costs $150, it is not viable for Serif, Macphun, On1 and others to tell folks to get a DAM importer that costs more than their editing app. I could definitely deal with PM + Luminar....especailly with Luminar being host to Aurora and the CK apps.

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
But as it is a seperate app that costs $150, it is not viable for Serif, Macphun, On1 and others to tell folks to get a DAM importer that costs more than their editing app.

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe that in this day and age of companies being bought outright someone like Apple / Adobe haven't snapped up Camera Bits for a casual $100m just for the instant RAW features - discounting all the other great stuff that comes with it (not saying I want them to!).

Surely that would be a killer sales pitch for the new and revamped Photos, seeing as so many people now undoubtedly shoot in RAW these days?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Fully agreed. They could keep PM as a separate standalone app and then incorporate it as the Library/Browser module/persona of their editing app.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
That's where I've ended up.

PhotoMechanic for import/cull/sort and management of 25k photos.
Capture One Pro for the majority of processing.
Luminar and Affinity for more in depth and creative edits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.