Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I am about to design a website that a couple of members of a non-profit group will have the ability to add text and pictures. It will be a small site that I will design using Dreamweaver. I am considering using Contribute as a CMS, does anyone have experience with it? It strikes as better fit for this application instead of Joomla, etc.,

- David

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd personally go for joomla, or wordpress, both give you more flexibility and look nicer that's just me

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
What would work best depends on how complex the website is, your skill level, and how much time and money can be spent on it.

If its a simple static site and you are already going to be using Dreamweaver, Contribute is an easy simple solution for them to update the text and pictures.

If there are more complex features, it would be a better use of time and you could build a better site using a real cms like drupal or joomla.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
It will be a simple, semi-brochureware site. I do need to learn cms like Joomla, etc., but I was thinking Contribute would work since I am familiar with Dreamweaver.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
It will be a simple, semi-brochureware site. I do need to learn cms like Joomla, etc., but I was thinking Contribute would work since I am familiar with Dreamweaver.

The biggest drawback to Contribute is that everyone who will be updating the web site will have to purchase and install it on their computer.

Using Wordpress, Joomla, (or my favorite) SilverStripe don't cost anything (except for your time) and is run on the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.