Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I'm toying with getting a Mac, and noticed in Apple's education store you can order a Adobe's CS3 for $300 with the purchase of a system. Web Premium is the one I'd get. I do do some light web page work, and having the full blown CS for the theoretically good price of $300 seems like a good deal.

But I'm wondering-how's the situation with "product activation" in that product? With the Windows version of Dreamweaver MX 2004, it forces you to activate it through a menu. When you need to reinstall the OS, or move it to another computer or whatever, you deactivate it through that same menu.

The newer Dreamweaver 8 apparently activates and deactivates itself when the program is installed or uninstalled.

So I'm just wondering how this works in the Mac version of this new product. I have a VERY negative view of "product activation", but I guess as long as I can easily activate and deactivate it as often as I want, then it's not too hideous...but I thought I should make sure that you still can move it/reinstall it as often as needed.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
I'm toying with getting a Mac, and noticed in Apple's education store you can order a Adobe's CS3 for $300 with the purchase of a system. Web Premium is the one I'd get. I do do some light web page work, and having the full blown CS for the theoretically good price of $300 seems like a good deal.

But I'm wondering-how's the situation with "product activation" in that product? With the Windows version of Dreamweaver MX 2004, it forces you to activate it through a menu. When you need to reinstall the OS, or move it to another computer or whatever, you deactivate it through that same menu.

The newer Dreamweaver 8 apparently activates and deactivates itself when the program is installed or uninstalled.

So I'm just wondering how this works in the Mac version of this new product. I have a VERY negative view of "product activation", but I guess as long as I can easily activate and deactivate it as often as I want, then it's not too hideous...but I thought I should make sure that you still can move it/reinstall it as often as needed.

Has the same as Dreamweave MX 2004. To deactivate there is an option in one of the pull down menus. Also for an educational program, technically you are not allowed to do commercial work with it.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Great! Thanks guys!

I'd just be doing stuff for my school (I'm staff), so presumably that counts. Actually my current software they got me is all the educational versions too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.