Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Web Premium (Should I)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by AFPoster, Jun 10, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I am taking courses in Web Design, etc and I can get this suite (reg $1,799 US) for $342.11. I know the discount is huge but my question is; is it worth it?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Not really worth it to be honest, only Photoshop is worth getting and the only thing i have seen used.

3. testcss macrumors member

I agree with Cabbit, don't buy CS5.5. Besides the point that Adobe is going to release CS6 in 6 months, the whole suite is overrated. Buy Coda, Hype, and Pixelmator. Those combined cost $160 together and are much better than CS5.5. If you want Photoshop, get it, but Pixelmator works just as fine for most jobs. I am an Adobe CS5.5 owner and believe me it is not worth it unless you are taking courses that explicitly require CS5.5.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

The courses specifically require cs5.5. I'll just download the trial and see if just that will get me by. Thanks for the info.

5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

If you're doing any professional web work you will need Photoshop and Illustrator at a minimum. There are cheaper/alternative versions out there, but you never get 100% compatibility. I have Pixelmator on my home machines, and prefer to use it for small bits of work, but at work when I receive designs from colleagues, they're always in Photoshop formats. Pixelmator consistently has color-matching issues, and the "Elements" versions from Adobe don't open layer groups, which makes them unusable for all but the simplest designs.

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I'll stick with the trial of cs5.5 and just get 6 when it launches. I mean for a low cost price it makes sense, at least to me.

7. rumz macrumors 6502

It'll be closer to 10 months before CS6 comes out, as Adobe has stated they've switched their cycle. It used to be every 18 months, but with their ".5" iterations, whole version suites will come out every 2 years (the original CS5 having come out spring 2010).

Also, I'm not sure what the advantage of Web Premium is over Design Premium. (at least, InDesign seems like it'd be more valuable than what's included in Web Premium, and it could be useful for digital content published to the web in the future.)

8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

If you want to do things properly, and be taken seriously, then you need Adobe creative suite. No debate.

9. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

appreciate it