Adobe Creative Suite CS4 Design Premium dilemma...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GMacDaddyTPO, Sep 24, 2008.

1. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

So here's my problem. I need to buy Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium pretty much today, and if not today, tomorrow morning. I just started design school and I need this program within the next 24 hours.

But,

CS4 is coming out within the next few weeks right? What are my options here? Will Adobe allow me to upgrade to CS4 for free? I don't really see how it's fair that I have to pay the extra $599 upgrade fee for a program that I HAD to buy only a few weeks before it's release.

Any suggestions?

:confused:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would contact Adobe directly to find out if they have upgrades setup, much like Apple.

TEG

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

What parts do you actually need? Adobe have 30 day trials available that you could use. I believe they are fully functioning.

4. GMacDaddyTPO thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I kind of tried that. However, I found it nearly immpossible to find any sort of email on Adobe's website.

I think that trial idea sounds good. I'm going to talk to my Digital professor about it in a few minutes.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

the Photoshop trials are 100% functional - no difference - they just stop working after the 30 days trial. If you purchase within the 30 days trial all you get is a serialnumber/activation code for the software you have already downloaded. Surely there is academic pricing/discounts available ?

6. klittle32 macrumors member

30-day trial

I suggest downloading the trial version(s) of the applications you need for the time being, and then purchasing CS4. Here is a link to adobe's downloads page:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

7. clue macrumors newbie

I agree! Download the trial version -- it's good for 30 days and works like the full version. That will give you time to order the Education version (differs only in price from 'full' version) that sells to students. <a href="http://www.creationengine.com">Creation Engine</a> is just one example. Your campus bookstore if it is close by, or Education software sites should be able to sell you CS3.3 if CS4 is not out before you need it. I plan to get CS3.3 now, as insurance, then upgrade as soon as CS4 is available.

From the Creation Engine site (others say something similar)
    "Need it now? Order the Adobe CS3.3 Design Premium now and get a free upgrade to the CS4 version directly from Adobe. Item must be purchased between 9/23/2008 to 12/22/2008. Qualified clients must claim upgrade directly from Adobe by 01/06/2009." "http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

8. ant-macyourself macrumors member

If you're going to be using any of your school's computer labs and they have CS3 installed, it may be a better idea to use CS3 anyway for compatibility reasons. Schools usually wait at least a few months before jumping on new software upgrades. CS4 doesn't really offer anything ground-breaking that would benefit a new design student, so there's no urge to have the latest and greatest in your situation.