Adobe Creative Suite Premium CS4 Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XboxEvolved, Oct 27, 2009.

1. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

So I used to be a student when I had the last Creative Suite I bought, and am not now, although didn't have the chance to graduate so obviously the money isn't rolling in from designing (for the most part) and apparently this crap cost $1700? lol?

Anyways I suppose I understand the pricing, but would be unable to buy the $400 Student Edition so was wondering, would ebay be a good option? I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ290349235313 and the guy seems to be legit but I am still weary about it. Also seems like the guy has a hard time selling them, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck buying the stuff off of ebay?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd read this thread before deciding to buy photoshop on ebay

linky

Basically ebay has a lot of PS counterfeits floating around there. Its easy enough for them (the pirates) to generate the serial number but adobe locks them down pretty quickly. I've read enough stories about people thinking they were buying the real deal then had activation issues.

If you do buy from ebay, you need to be sure that they include a certificate of transfer among the paper work. If the deal sounds too good to be true then it probably is. the link you provided is a good example, how can someone sell the retail copy of CS4 for a 1,000 less then reputable places. In fact adobe charges resellers more then that so again how can he sell legit copies? It doesn't matter about the guys feedback, just because he seems legit doesn't make him so.

Did you try calling adobe and asking if you could upgrade your student copy of CS3 to the retail version of CS4. I was able to do that without any problems. That may be cheaper and you'll not have to worry about piracy/counterfeit versions.

3. XboxEvolved thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have CS1 lol anyways is there a way by looking at the auction if it is counterfeit or not?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Not really. You have to rely on the seller to be honest. I would certainly question when something very expensive is going for a fraction of the cost, even on eBay.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You still may have an upgrade path from adobe, give them a call.

Anyways, given the counterfeiters/pirates have gotten quite slick in their selling of CS, I'd say the only sign that it might be bogus is the price. How can a 1700 dollar package be sold on ebay as brand new unopened retail version for a thousand less? Thats really too good to be true.

Real authentic copies of CS will be near the retail price and if opened must include a license transfer document.

6. smirking macrumors 6502a

I haven't checked the licensing terms in a while, but I don't believe there's a problem with buying an upgrade to an educational package long after you're no longer a student. I seem to remember reading that you're entitled to continue using it for personal use, but if you end up doing professional work with it, you're supposed to do something to make your copy comply with their standard licensing.

I don't believe there's anything stopping you from applying an upgrade installation if upgrading from CS1 is an option.