Adobe CS 4/5 on new MBP 13" - good enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RonnyC, Apr 16, 2010.

1. RonnyC macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first mac but I'm torn between 2 options.

Essentially, I need to know if the 2.66GHZ 13" MPB is going to be powerful enough to run Adobe CS4 and possibly CS5? My main concern is the 256GB VRAM which is the minimum required to run the software.

Otherwise it might have to be the 15" MBP but I'd prefer the smaller laptop

Any advise from anyone with experience of using CS4 on a mac would be gratefully received!

Cheers

2. chkenwing macrumors regular

I've been using CS4 on my new 2010 MBP 13".

As far as I'm aware, it runs smoothly, although I see what people mean when they say a 15" is probably better in terms of screen space but I live with it.

3. RonnyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for such a quick response!

The screen isn't so much the issue as I usually hook it up to a monitor, the issue is more to do with whether it runs at fairly decent speed etc.

The problem I'm having is that I need to run CS4 only for a few months whilst I finish uni, after that I wont have much need for it and don't want to be lumbered with a 15" laptop! As long as it runs OK and I can get by for the next few months I'd be happy.

On a seperate note, how does Win7 run on a 13" through Bootcamp? Will I be able to run CAD software for example?

Cheers

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

woud run fine, screen would be a lil' cramped though

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

my brother has a 13" 2.53 (or whatever it is) and runs CS4 on his. He hasn't mentioned any problems. I mean he uses mostly illustrator and dreamweaver and some PS. If you are running AE, then you probably would have some problems.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nah, it'll be fine.

Don't assume Ps or any application in the creative suite (save for Pr and Ae) will require lots of horse power by virtue of being a complex (what some will call "bloated") program , especially if you are just starting up. Once you have lots of files open and your system starts to slow down, hindering your work, you know it's time to upgrade to a quicker machine, or atleast more ram.

So the 13" will work fine .

7. erure macrumors regular

I know it's not the same, but I use CS4 on my Mac Mini all the time without any problems -- I'm sure it'll be fine :)

8. kangping macrumors member

depending on the type of cad software you will be using you could have some trouble. i can't say much about 2d-cad - but 3d cad isn't too much fun on a shared memory card, depending on the complexity of your parts. also if you will be using cad on the go you should still think about the 15"....

9. RonnyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your input guys, I think I've got enough info now to make the decision to go for the 15" as I have a feeling programs like Rhino 3D will require a bit of extra oomph for want of a better word!

Think I'll go for the 15" i7 then sell it when I finish uni at Xmas and get myself a new 13" MPB, they might have upgraded them a little bit by then - who knows!

Cheers