Adobe CS, do I have to go with CC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Oysterboy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Oysterboy macrumors newbie

OK, I am working on upgrading my mac and getting some software that will actually run well in Lion. I checked with my local bookstore and seems that Adobe creative suite is only available thru the cloud service model now. Other than the fact of having regular upgrades, is there a downside to buying an earlier version of CS (CS3 for example) off ebay?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Lion? We are at the very end of Mavericks; actually running Yosemite on a test system right now.

I dropped Adobe Photoshop the moment the licensing model changed. That was no easy feat, as I had about 15 years experience with it. Now I'm happy with Pixelmator and Sketch, but seriously considered moving to GIMP as I had messed with it when in college and found it pretty powerful. My daughter uses GIMP on her Acer C720 Ubuntu and loves it.

I hate to say it, but try to break the PS addiction before it starts.

3. maflynn, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One downside comes quickly to mind - counterfeit versions of photoshop. You need to be careful, especially on those that seem too good to be true.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You might be able to find CS 6 on Amazon or another reputable site. Avoid getting software off of Ebay. Common sense will tell you why.

If you only need Photoshop and Lightroom, Adobe has their Photography Creative Cloud program at $10 a month, which is extremely reasonable. Adobe has added new features to Photoshop CC on a regular basis and is getting ready to announce a major update at Adobe MAX.