Adobe CS3 on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MediaRyan, Dec 26, 2007.

1. MediaRyan macrumors member

I am planning to switch into CS3 on a Mac after using CS2 on a PC for freelance work. I've also used CS2 on a Mac at work and we recently got CS3 put onto our Macs.

Since I'm looking to get a laptop, I am hoping to get a MBP and I'm curious to ask those that use CS3 on a MBP, what are some pros and cons you may have noticed?

Is a 15" 1440x900 screen sufficient for designing in Photoshop, developing in Dreamweaver, designing in Flash?

Have any of you used CS2 or CS3 on a PC and noticed anything that jumps out that makes you a strong proponent of running CS3 on a Mac? :)

I ask because for some programs, like Final Cut, you need a Mac, but CS3, its the same program either way, just a more expensive option if you go the Apple route. Besides a better machine and arguably(well probably) better OS, what is it about these creative programs on a Mac that has captured the creative workforce?

Or is it quite simply, just the Macs themselves...

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

It may very well be a psychological issue with me, but I have used CS on a mac and a PC multiple times (design major) and I own a MBP which I use CS3 on all the time, and always prefer the mac route.

This INCLUDES running CS2 in rosetta with my intel mac as opposed to native CS2 on a PC even.

I am not sure what it is exactly, but I just always prefer the apple version of design products, they seem to just integrate better I guess? and OSX is just so well designed and user-friendly, it makes the whole experience better in my opinion.

Sorry I can't give you any specifics, but, it's just the feeling I get. :)

PS. I have a 15inch mbp as you can see in my sig, and while I now have an external monitor, I used a Tibook and then a CD mbp before this C2D and used just a 15 inch screen to design on for... a good 2+ years before getting an external, and while I occasionally wished i had more space, it never was a bothersome issue.

Sides, if you do feel you want more space, you can pick up a pretty decent 19 or 22 inch external for a couple hundred down the line, but I have to say that 15 is a perfectly usable workspace :)

3. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I have a Core Duo MBP, and I run CS3 Design premium and I have no complaints. Photoshop is always nicer on OSX I couldn't explain it either. I don't know if you use Illustrator but it runs alot smoother and doesn't freeze and chop when tracing paths like it's PC alternative.

I didn't have alot of experience with Flash, but dreamweaver is flawless.

I don't really know what else to tell you, as the last poster said, it's just a better experience on osx. I don't mind using just the 15" screen. on longer projects it'd be nicer to have the bigger screen, but I take portability over that.

Oh and an external mouse will do wonders in Illustrator as well.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep, I also use CS3 on a MBP (albeit a 17" in my case) and it runs flawlessly. I've used older versions on 1440x900 (and smaller) screens and it's quite satisfactory - although, as with any design application, bigger is better.

I've used various version of Adobe software on both Windows and Mac, and like others here find it a far more pleasant experience on the Mac - fewer odd slowdowns in Illustrator and Indesign, the Mac's native gamma is better suited to design work in general and the user interface feels far less clunky than it does on Windows.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Screen size aside, it runs beautifully on an MBP, and given the dual-link DVI, you can use it on anything right up through a 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

6. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I'm an architecture student and I live on the computer (for the most part).

Stick with me here:

On the Windows XP side of my MacBook Pro 15" (SR 2.4, 2gb, 256mb vid) I run AutoCAD, VIZ, Rhino, 3DS Max. MBP was touted as the best 'PC' to run Windows XP on, and it is. I was rendering HiDef interior lighting models in VIZ (roughly 3 hour render, small) while modeling in Rhino, and referencing a CAD file.

That said, on the Leopard side (which I'm in most of the time) I run Adobe Design Premium CS3, and SketchUp; I'm looking into urchasing Maxwell Render for Mac.

When my final review (read: final project presentation) was coming up I had Illustrator open, correcting/fixing/editing/POLISHING some imported CAD drawings, I had photoshop open editing photos for the presentation, I had InDesign open swapping and using files that I was working on in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I had Flash open (I was making a process video). Bridge was also open helping swap files around.

The BEST feature that shines on the Mac in the above situation was Expose. With that many windows and files open for different folders, fly your mouse over to a corner and bam, choose a file, get back to work.

When I'm not living in studio I have an external 23" display I rock. At that point I was also surfing Safari for images to put into my renderings (download --> photoshop --> save --> insert into rendering), iChat for the hell of it (and to see who was on at 4am), as well as mail and iTunes!

So granted I threw the Windows part in there (if you're a designer then there is ALWAYS an app you need thats on the windows side, and not the mac) Leopard has been good to me.

Also, I was freak'n amazed at my 2gigs of memory. I was wanting to upgrade soon to 4gig, but with this performance, I think I can wait till 4gbs is dirt cheap.

Cheers!

7. MediaRyan thread starter macrumors member

Awesome.

I'm going into my school's graphic design program and the time has come to get a notebook for graphic design classes, work, freelance and personal video projects.

All these comments were helpful. Thanks.

8. palmerized macrumors regular

I'll throw my 2 cents in... the Macbook Pro has been incredible running CS3. Ya, the resolution could be a bit higher, but you can always hook up an external display for that.

I too don't know what it is about working on a Mac, but I instantly feel more creative using it. There is definitely the 'cool' factor of the Mac, and I think that gives you some inspiration when using it. I know its in your head, but so is your creativity -- so I think there is a connection.