Adobe CS3 - Should I buy it now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samo1215, Feb 26, 2008.

1. samo1215 macrumors member

I can get a special educational deal on CS3 (Master Edition) for $500 if I buy it before March 14. I'm about to make the leap and get a new MacBook Pro soon as well and wanted to know where in it's lifecycle is CS3? If CS3 will be updated soon what is the typical cost of upgrading to the next version?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You won't pay until CS4. That is quite some time away.

3. dahlio macrumors newbie

Depends on what you do with photoshop. If you're a heavy photoshop user, you'll notice the changes, but if you're doing simple editing, you won't notice any difference between CS3 and an older version. (Remember, CS3 also has an "extended" version, so choose wisely.)

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

CS3 is not even a year old yet! CS came out in 2003, and CS2 in 2005, so CS4 is at least another year away.

You're not going to get as good a deal as this, so now's the time to pull the trigger.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Generally new versions of Photoshop are released *about* every 18-20 months - I've heard rumors already that we may see CS4 at the end of 2008 or 1st quarter 2009, which is slightly longer than the "average" time between releases.

As the others said, if you need it now, I'd absolutely get it - "must have features" for me include: Quick selection tool, B&W adjustment layer, improved Vanishing Point filter, improved curves dialog, and the print dialog box has been enhanced (it includes the preview, so there's no longer a separate "Print with Preview" option.)

-Bryan