Adobe CS4 Student Edition

ab1472

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Hi, all...

i'm saving up to get a new imac and want to buy and install Adobe CS4 Production Premium...

Now, this software costs $1,700 and i am broke...

So, after some research i found that Adobe offers a Student version of this software to both full time and part time students attending any accredited college (eg. jr colleges, com. colleges, state, etc...) for only $300 ($1,400 off!). Of course, you must prove you're a student and you must agree that you will not use their software for monetary gains, whatever...

I do eventually want to go pro in this line of work, but it will probably take me at least a year or two to learn the software as well as i want to anyway, so...

I've been wanting to learn spanish for a while now, so, my plan is to sign up for spanish classes at the local cc and get a student edition of CS4...

Learn Spanish and save well over a grand while i'm doing it...

Does anybody see anything wrong with this plan?

Here's a link to the Adobe student eligibility...
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/qualify.html

Unless i am completely misreading this, i believe i'd qualify...(btw, my local CC is an official Adobe reseller according to Adobe's website)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You'd probably get it for free...
What community college is going to give students free copies of CS4? :eek: I think the OPs idea is fine and should quality for student pricing. When I bough the student priced suit through an online store (Academic Superstore I think?) I had no problem. Not sure about purchasing right from Adobe but there are other sites, probably the school's own book store sells it.

ab1472

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
yea, absolutely, but I consider myself an autodidact and don't really want to become a full time student. I'd only be going to school for the adobe discount, and i'd take a spanish class because i deal with a lot of spanish speakers at work. Also, i'm planning on becoming a filmmaker/film/vid editor, not a graphic designer. I'm just wondering if taking a (possibly non-credit) spanish course would still qualify me for a discount...

I do appreciate the suggestion, though, because learning graphic design would most certainly not be a bad idea...

ab1472

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
According to Adobe's website my local CC does not carry it in their bookstore, but is most certainly eligible for the discounts...

Btw, apfhex, were you a full-time, degree seeking student when you bought your student edition, or what?