Adobe CS4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BellatorGero, Apr 25, 2010.

1. BellatorGero macrumors newbie

I've got the PC version at the moment, clearly when I switch I'll need to Mac version.

Excuse the dumb question, but can I use the same license on my iMac as well as my laptop or do I need separate ones?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The PC and Mac version have different licences/license keys. If you contact Adobe they will normally switch your license (perhaps for a small fee). But note: this switches both activations: I don't think there is any way to have one activation on a PC and the other on a Mac.

3. BellatorGero thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean laptop, sorry iMac and MacBook. Oops

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well a MacBook is a laptop. I was just making sure :)

You need to contact Adobe to transfer your license and all should be OK. Hopefully they'll do transfers for CS4 and not try and force you to upgrade to CS5...

5. BellatorGero thread starter macrumors newbie

Is using one license for the two ok, or is it an upgrade for one and a new one for the other?

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I transferred a Photoshop CS3 license several years ago from PC to Mac. Adobe charges $15 (to cover media shipping for the software), unless you don't have the latest version in which case they charge you to upgrade at the same time. You cannot transfer license for an outdated version without upgrading.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The CS4 license certainly says you may install on 1 laptop and 1 desktop as long as they are for your use and you are only using one at a time. I don't have CS5 but I assume it's the same...

8. BellatorGero thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantatstic. I never looked into the licenses on it before.

9. Emoo macrumors regular

I opened a case with Adobe a few days ago, asking this same question. Even though CS5 isn't out yet, they won't permit me to get a license or anything for Mac.

If you're a student, I strongly recommend that you look around and see if the university has licensing deals with Adobe. For example, Texas A&M University can sell drastically discounted copies of suites such as Design Premium to students, and if you graduate, the license is yours for good. The price differences is jaw-dropping, to say the least. My Design Suite was only $370, which included Flash, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and a few others.

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I was a PC user and went through this a few weeks ago. I called Adobe for a Cross Platform license. I had to give my rights to CS4 for PC, including all support and future upgrades...(but was not required to remove it from my PC). I had to do something on their website to get it going and then call them back to place an order for CS4 for Mac. It is not available as a download when you switch platforms so they charged me $6, the postage to shop a new CS4 for Mac disk. I received it in a few days, loaded the disk and software, then upgraded on-line.

Adobe lets you install the software on two computers at a time, laptop and desktop which what I did. They also told me that they cannot comment on CS5 until it is officially released. Of course if you wait a month or so you can just buy the CS5 upgrade in Mac version and be okay

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If you are suggesting that as an alternate to doing a platform transfer via Adobe, it won't work. Installing a Mac upgrade version will require the original serial number, and it will reject one that is a PC license.

12. cuse7284 macrumors member

can someone tell me where to download the free 30 day cs4 trial

it used to live on the adobe site but its now vanished with only cs5 pushed down our throats. Can someone please provide a link for the free cs4 30 day trial download?

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

No, I am saying that instead of upgraded from CS4 PC to CS4 Mac for $6, you can wait and upgrade from CS4 PC to CS5 Mac for about $200. The upgrade will remove the 3gb ram limit as it will be 64 bits

14. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

No.

Do yourself a favor and experiment with other Photoshop software and IDEs that aren't as bloated and overpriced as that lazy junk adobe is giving the consumer.

HTML 5 CSS3 Javascript, destroy Flash and dreamweaver when used properly.

Aperture beats lightroom.

There is a life on the Mac where adobe doesn't have to be supported and you'll save tons of money.

15. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

:confused:
    Other "Photoshop Software"?
    You mean a Raster Graphics Editor, I guess.
    So which one is it?

Also, show me another Vector Graphics Editor that is as good and as widespread as Illustrator.

How can programming/markup languages destroy programs like Dreamweaver?
    You can code HTML5,CSS3 and javascript with Dreamweaver too.
    And until all (or most) browsers fully support HTML5 and CSS3 month or even years will pass and still then, I guess Flash will be around for e.g. games like Farmville and so on.

I can't comment on the Aperture/Lightroom statement as I have never used either.

Adobe CS is just the standard software in almost all design departments/companies. Like it or not.

16. BellatorGero thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant anyway. I am getting used to Photoshop and Illustrator, and that took a LONG time!!

Plus when I send graphics off to our clothing factory, I send them in AI files. So it is a no brainer.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Now that CS5 is our Adobe will not provide demos of CS4. The demo only exists to try before you buy and as they are not selling CS4 there will be no more demos.

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I have the demo file. I downloaded it a few months ago because I knew I would need it for a project I'm working on now. I have 26 days left on it. :D

I suppose I could upload it for you, though it's about a gig...

19. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

CS5 is now available, as is the free trialhttp://www.adobe.com/downloads/?PID=462641