Adobe CS5.5 vs Apple COLOR - HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Jun 8, 2011.

1. matteusclement, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

OKay... so I got ths job and my boss gave me a rig all decked out with cs5.5 master suite. I have to color correct some footage BUT THE THING IS, that i have been doing color correcting on FCP and color. Is there anything that I am missing between AE and Premiere that would come close to color? This is driving me ******* crazy....
    videos? links?

2. way2smurfy macrumors newbie

Ae has color correction tools

Levels, color finesse 3, hue/sat, curves. they are all located in the Effects menu, at least for AE not to sure about premiere

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

am i slow or is the AE color correction interface a mess compared to color?

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i just can't wait for the new Final Cut X. it's color correction is gonna be awesome

5. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Did post for about a year for a web dev. company so nothing pro. film, but from my experience using Adobe, I just didn't like it. I like the power of what AE could do, but that's it. I love cutting in FCP though. Yeah some of AE stock things are OK, but to do anything actually good, you gota go 3rd party with stuff from Red Giant or Video Copilot. I know it's not the high end like Nuke, but for what I did, this would have suffice, but unfortunately, I had to deal with out of the box stuff, like green screen :( which I wish I could have gotten 3rd party plugin or a better camera, but boss's didn't give me much $$$ to work with so I had to deal w/ what I had.

They always asked for a better product, and I said, yeah for a few hundred bucks I can get a plugin, and they said... a few hundred for a plugin? No way. Remember this is a web dev. company so I said, well, than this is the best you're gona get.

6. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

drew.. you hit the nail on the head. it WORKS, but it's kind of painful. I will look into the products you meantioned

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A GFX/compositing program with a few CC filters has some shortcomings compared to a pure, deep CC application? You don't say!:D

Lethal

8. way2smurfy macrumors newbie

Actually Ae has CC tools

AE has keylight for greenscreen and you can use color finesse for color correction. You don't need any third party filters really. AE isn't an editor just like final cut is not compositor and motion graphics tool. The problem is that you don't know the AE, so you are unable to utilize it to its full potential.

One more thing, videocopilot is not a pull in. Andrew crammer sells third party plug ins and stock footage. If you take some time to learn AE you will see for certain things it will blows away some FCP's feature. Just remember AE and FCP are very different pieces of software.

Color is purely a color correction piece of software so it has abilities AE lacks.

9. lesreaper2009 macrumors member

Spend On Right Stuff

If your boss spent thousands of dollars on a new rig, then he can spend $299 for Colorista 2, which is a plugin for AE, Premiere, and FC. It might not be Color, but I've gotten major projects color corrected in it and it works awesome.

That would be my suggestion. Use it in Premiere if you're editing in Premiere. the Dynamic Link wraparound just makes things more challenging with Colorista 2.