Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
They didn't say exactly when CS5 would be available, but the Adobe website now says CS5 will ship in "mid-May". Great to see that everything is 64-bit native now, but I'm not at all surprised Adobe is in such a huff over Apple's decision to exclude Flash-built apps from the iPhone/iPad. They (Adobe) spent a lot of time in their 30 minute intro (which was obviously put together before Apple discussed iPhone 4) talking about how great the new Flash will be to create apps for mobile devices, citing the iPhone and iPad by name.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I thought only photoshop and some of the the video programs were going 64-bit.

Are people thinking of upgrading? I'm still on CS3 and while some of the extras in this look nice, they aren't that compelling.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I can't wait for CS5 some really incredible stuff for us video guys and Photoshop looks better than ever. I certainly will be upgrading my CS4.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I thought only photoshop and some of the the video programs were going 64-bit.

Are people thinking of upgrading? I'm still on CS3 and while some of the extras in this look nice, they aren't that compelling.

Yeah shouldn't have said "everything", it's just that pretty much the only things they talked about this morning other than Flash were Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects so I had 64-bit on the brain.

I will definitely be upgrading to CS5. I, too, am still on CS3 and am ready for the speed bump in Photoshop and a lot of the cool new features in InDesign. Plus, AI CS3 is sort of glitchy on Snow Leopard so I'm expecting the new version to be a lot better.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I'm probably going to skip it.

It may sound silly, but I want Illustrator and InDesign in 64-bit as well. I use Illustrator a lot for ads and projects that involve photography, and when you have lots of photos linked in Illustrator, the program slows tremendously. Heck, it even slows when you have lots of layers (I'll sometimes have around 20 or more layers with gradient/pattern fills and such). I can't see upgrading unless I can utilize more than just 3GB or so of RAM and multi-core processors.

I don't care too much about extra tool features because in practice, I just don't use them all that much. What I care about is pure performance, and CS5 doesn't appear to have much for me in that regard (again, strictly referring to Illustrator and InDesign). I'm not going to shell out $600 (Design Premium upgrade) just for new brush models, perspective guides, and other silly things I won't use.

For the record, I've only had CS4 for about 14 months, and other than performance issues mentioned above, I have no issues with it at all. In short, there's no compelling reason for me to upgrade.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Fair enough. I use InDesign the most out of the CS components, and I'm looking forward to the new features that will save me time, like mixed page sizes, the gap tool, the new object selection, balanced columns and column spanning, mini Bridge and background export. Not to mention the improvements CS4 (which I skipped) had over CS3.

Still, I hear what you are saying. A 64-bit InDesign and/or Illustrator would definitely make the suite even more attractive. Of course, it helps that I'm in grad school so I'll be able to save a couple hundred bucks upgrading.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Of course, it helps that I'm in grad school so I'll be able to save a couple hundred bucks upgrading.

Yes. Student pricing is very attractive. Were I still in school, I'd probably find a way to grab it, too.

At the non-student pricing, however, I would need to upgrade for two people and it would run me about $1100. Even given the really cool new Photoshop features, that's a lot of clams to spend.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I just got CS4 a few weeks ago. :mad: I'm waiting to see how much the upgrade for Education version will cost. I wish it could be a free upgrade. Kinda like when I bought my PB G4 and I got a free upgrade to 10.3 since I had just purchased my Mac.

So far I like what I see in PS and some of the Illustrator brush features.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just catching up on some of the video's. Some of the tools that Terry talks about for InDesign are freaking really nice...

Ohhh the interactive file built from within in inDesign rocks!!!!!!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I'm waiting to see how much the upgrade for Education version will cost.

It's possible that your school will sell it more cheaply than this, but Adobe lists the prices as:

$299 for Design Standard
$449 for Design Premium
$449 for Production Premium
$449 for Web Premium
$899 for Master Collection

You can say that again!

BEARitone

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
I recently bought design standard for my Windows machine to hold me over for a bit using the educational discount, it said I can only use my ID for that software once.

Can I buy the CS5 mac suite using my ID or do I have to wait a certain amount of time or something. I wanted to make sure because I'm not really sure what would happen if I bought it and when I send in the registration it gets declined. I figure I would be safe, but I just wanted to double check.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I recently bought design standard for my Windows machine to hold me over for a bit using the educational discount, it said I can only use my ID for that software once.

Can I buy the CS5 mac suite using my ID or do I have to wait a certain amount of time or something. I wanted to make sure because I'm not really sure what would happen if I bought it and when I send in the registration it gets declined. I figure I would be safe, but I just wanted to double check.

I think it's safe to assume that Adobe views CS4 and CS5 as different products, but there's no real way to know for certain until it gets released. You could also try calling Adobe Support.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England

There used to be a requirement that you can only buy one of each "family" of product in a 12 month period with the Education discount. So you could buy, say, InDesign and then a few months later Photoshop....but not a copy of CS and then a different edition of CS. But I don't see this anywhere in the UK Education store anymore.

However, you *do* have to submit the proof of academic status with every order.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20002131-264.html

"64-bit support on Mac OS X. It was there on Windows since Photoshop CS4 was released in September 2008, but now Mac users will get its chief benefit, the ability to handle really large images and exploit the advantages of computers with more than 4GB of memory."

Does that mean that there is no RAM usage limit? That would be awesome (I have a Mac Pro which has 12 GB RAM).

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Just catching up on some of the video's. Some of the tools that Terry talks about for InDesign are freaking really nice...

Holy crap! Just checked out the Top 5 InDesign Features video. The interactive file looks cool. I'm going to have to upgrade from CS3 to get this. Plus some of the new items IgnatiusTheKing mentioned will be great time savers. "Split Column" will be very useful for me.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20002131-264.html

"64-bit support on Mac OS X. It was there on Windows since Photoshop CS4 was released in September 2008, but now Mac users will get its chief benefit, the ability to handle really large images and exploit the advantages of computers with more than 4GB of memory."

Note that all the 64bit references are to Photoshop. I have not found any information indicating that Illustrator or InDesign have been made 64bit.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Note that all the 64bit references are to Photoshop. I have not found any information indicating that Illustrator or InDesign have been made 64bit.

Yeah as discussed above, Photoshop, Premiere and After-Effects are the only 64-bit applications.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
It's possible that your school will sell it more cheaply than this, but Adobe lists the prices as:

$299 for Design Standard
$449 for Design Premium
$449 for Production Premium
$449 for Web Premium
$899 for Master Collection

You can say that again!

I got my copy of CS4 Design Premium through the Apple Store for $420. I was actually surprised that Apple had copies in-store. Now CS5 is listed at $450. So far I haven't seen any Upgrade prices for the Student/Teacher edition. All the resellers are selling CS5 Student/Teacher ed. for the same price. Right now I can't justify paying $450 for something I've only had for one month. That would be wasting $400.

http://store.apple.com/us-k12/browse/home/shop_mac/software/design_publishing?mco=OTY2ODUzOQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.