Adobe CS6 impressive, glad I switched from FCP 7 / FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robains, Apr 12, 2012.

1. robains macrumors regular

robains

Adobe have done a wonderful job with CS6, couple of quirks here and there but overall the product is solid and the built in features really do work very well ... still room for 3rd party obviously, but I'm amazed at the performance of the product on my Windows box, especially the GPU usage ... re-think on if I want more CPU cores or GPU cards.

Even for a Beta, it's impressive.

If you are still hanging on to FCP 7 or sick of FCP X ongoing problems and limited functionality, you really need to do yourself a favor and try CS6 (especially if you have the GPU power).

I'm still in shock at just how fast the product is and the quality of output. I really like the UI also, it's very much like FCP 7 and feels familiar.

I think I understand why Apple tossed in the towel with FCPX, it's all around the GPUs.

Rob

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The new Premiere looks very good. The interface looks updated and the 64 bit functionality and broadened support makes it a "real" pro offer. If I could ever bring myself to learn Premiere I would maybe consider it. I have CS5 I just haven't played around with it much yet.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

You have Premiere Pro beta?
    Didn't know it was released.

----------

Zwhaler if you know hot to use FCP then Premiere is not far off as far as basics go, Trust me :)

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I'm wondering if it will eventually leverage non-NVIDIA GPUs. I have my old GTX285 in a box in case it becomes useful again, but I've been enjoying my 5870 with CS5. I noticed Warp Stabilizer seems to specifically want to use GPU acceleration.

5. dtechlogic macrumors regular

it Looks like it is worth upgrading from CS5.5 producton premium to CS6.0. Will see.

6. harddriveowner macrumors member

"Apple tossed in the towel with FCPX"... Are you kidding me?
    Who do you work for Adobe?
    A day after Apple came out with the 4th update in 9 months for FCPX, to make that statement is mind-boggling. If Apple were tossing in the towel, would they have this many updates? Why waste money if they are tossing in the towel.
    If you spent some time and opened your eyes you might find that FCPX is far superior to the old FCP 7 in so may ways. Yes you have to learn new tricks but FCPX is the future and it keeps getting better.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

On the fence...

One thing we learned about CS in the past 5 years is never update until 2 to 3 months after release date.
    We've had some major problems in the past across all the major apps under Master Collection since CS2.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've heard that OpenCL support is there but only with certain cards.

Lethal

9. mBox macrumors 68020

That would be nice since most of us have ATI/AMD cards :)
    Gotta admit, CS 5.5 has been good across the 5770/5870 and our Quadros here at Snow Leopard stage, however under Lion its been flaky for us.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There's support built in for the latest 57xx/58xx. It is told to run pretty snappy on a 2011 MBP.

They have a skimmer now I've seen.

11. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

12. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

13. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Well, with CS5.5, my PC is winning me over so much that I am going for the newest chips and PC upgrade. The GPU levlerage on DSLR footage is too good to pass up. No more transcoding into another format.

CS6 might just make me go PC all the way. For now, my MBP keeps me 50/50

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

right now I am on the fence on whether to go all adobe or not .. i sold off my iMac and my older mac pro. All I have right now is my air but Im waiting for either the iMac / mac pro update or just going and building a 6 core pc build.

15. mBox macrumors 68020

If your sticking with Adobe then build a decent Windows 7 box. But then a decent 2009/2010 Mac Pro makes a great Windows 7 box as well using Boot Camp.
    We do this for Maya and 3DSMAX. Yea yea we still have actual BOXX and Dells for that too ;)

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

problem is that the hardware from a 09/10 mac pro is dated and it is still probably cheaper to build a windows machine

17. mBox macrumors 68020

Hmm not that dated IMHO.
    Sure you can build a killer Windows box but its still Windows :(

18. Keebler macrumors 68030

I was tempted to buy the last upgrade offering, but I've decided to stick with Apple for now.

Even if I go with Adobe's line in the future, it will be Mac all the way.

I have Windows installed one 1 machine for slideshow purposes and it's ok, but the whole windows-way-of-working isn't for me. I'm not saying it's terrible - I'm just really used to the Apple common sense workflow so it would be frustrating to go back (for me anyways).

19. mBox macrumors 68020

Adobe Re-seller sent em an email about the ugprades/
    We usually wait for a few months so we wont qualify.
    What a rip though cause we just added another Master a month ago :p

20. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

don't get me wrong .. i would love to have a mac pro .. but even spending 2200 for the base model refurb .. i would still need to buy a 6 core chip and do the swap

21. floh macrumors 6502

If you bought after March 26th, you might qualify for a free update:
    Link to Adobe announcement

"A month ago" might be just a tiny tad too soon though... I just didn't want you to miss it.

22. mBox macrumors 68020

Oops more than a month I think end of Feb.
    I have the basic upgrades budgeted for this fiscal but again I wait months after it drops just to see the bugs get worked out.

----------

I feel for you if its your own money.
    I had to go on the cheap for my own personal set-up.
    Went with a 2.66 with ATI5770 :p
    Unlike what I use at work :(

23. seanhoytphoto macrumors newbie

5870 hardware acceleration in Premiere CS6

I just edited the OPENCL file in the Premiere contents (right click, Show Package Contents), dive into Contents folder and edit "opencl_supported_cards.txt". Added my 5870 card "ATI Radeon HD 5870" and now get full hardware OPENCL acceleration in Premiere now. That's it. Easy.

24. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

My windows box has a GTX470 & quad core cpu. I am thinking about going CS6 for my windows box. were the GPU gains that big?

25. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

One wonders what the hold up is on Adobes end...