Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I'm currently in the works for getting an iMac, and I'm hesitant about CC renting. I'd like to spend $500 for the entire production suite of CS6(I'm a film student). But is CS6 still quite usable for the foreseeable future? Or is CC trumping CS6 in terms of features nowadays?

Thanks for any insight.

Regards,

B

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What do you guys use at school? I would rent it just because by the time you get out of there, it's going to be vastly different and you're going to be stuck with unsupported software.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
CC student price is $20/mo. That's 25 months, 2 years, until the prices cross paths.

What you need to ask is... Will CS6 still be relevant in 2017? Will this one time, larger purchase last you all the way through 2015, and 2016... into 2017.

Survive any compatibility issues with Mac 10.11, and 10.12.

Otherwise... rent it.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
What do you guys use at school? I would rent it just because by the time you get out of there, it's going to be vastly different and you're going to be stuck with unsupported software.
My school has all the Adobe CC apps. I'm in my final semester of community college.

----------

CC student price is $20/mo. That's 25 months, 2 years, until the prices cross paths.

What you need to ask is... Will CS6 still be relevant in 2017? Will this one time, larger purchase last you all the way through 2015, and 2016... into 2017.

Survive any compatibility issues with Mac 10.11, and 10.12.

Otherwise... rent it.

For me, it's hard to tell from what is necessary and what is just a "want." Currently, I'm still using Final Cut Express 4 on a 2.4Ghz MacBook 4,1 from the past four and half years since I've gotten into videography... Tech that I know is ancient, but still gets the job done. Now with CS6 on a maxed out iMac, I need to figure out if that kind of system can "get the job done" over the next three-five years(or a bit more). Oh the joys of budgeting resources. Lol

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My school has all the Adobe CC apps. I'm in my final semester of community college.

----------

For me, it's hard to tell from what is necessary and what is just a "want." Currently, I'm still using Final Cut Express 4 on a 2.4Ghz MacBook 4,1 from the past four and half years since I've gotten into videography... Tech that I know is ancient, but still gets the job done. Now with CS6 on a maxed out iMac, I need to figure out if that kind of system can "get the job done" over the next three-five years(or a bit more). Oh the joys of budgeting resources. Lol

Do you like Final Cut? Would you rather use it instead of Adobe's stuff?

I would think about that before shelling out $500 for CS6 or comitting to CC.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Do you like Final Cut? Would you rather use it instead of Adobe's stuff?

I would think about that before shelling out $500 for CS6 or comitting to CC.
I enjoy Final Cut Express 4, yes.
I've never used Final Cut Pro, but I can't imagine the interface being much different from FCE4,

But I have tinkered with premiere pro, and is it just me, or are the commands and UI of PP sharing many similarities with Final Cut?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I enjoy Final Cut Express 4, yes.

I've never used Final Cut Pro, but I can't imagine the interface being much different from FCE4,

But I have tinkered with premiere pro, and is it just me, or are the commands and UI of PP sharing many similarities with Final Cut?

Lots of these apps share the same workflows, yeah. You can learn one and easily get into another.

FCP went through very big changes that made a lot of people angry over the last few years. So I don't know... I haven't used FCE since the Power Mac G5s myself.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Lots of these apps share the same workflows, yeah. You can learn one and easily get into another.

FCP went through very big changes that made a lot of people angry over the last few years. So I don't know... I haven't used FCE since the Power Mac G5s myself.
oh yeah, I know what FCP X looks like( ie a prosumer iMovie UI). I just haven't messed with X, I've been sticking to ol faithful. Haha

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
People use old, outdated apps all the time. If you can still get paid using CS6 in 2025, who should tell you otherwise?

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
People use old, outdated apps all the time. If you can still get paid using CS6 in 2025, who should tell you otherwise?
Well put, Pakaku.

----------

I'd be concerned about CS6 breaking or having issues in 10.9/10.10.
10.9 as in mavericks? I'll have to look into if any problems occur with Cs6 and Mav. I definitely won't be using Yosemite. My iMac will be, as much as possible, an offline editing station.

awhitmer83

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Kentucky
For the record, I'm still using CS6 with Mavericks. No issues whatsoever. I personally refuse to use CC after the money I spent on CS6, so until it stops working completely, I'll be sticking with it.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Rent it. It is so safe, always have latest features no chance of it breaking with OS compatibility and if you lose interest in film before 2 years well you will have spent less.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Adobe CS6 and Final Cut Pro are two different products. CS6 is for photo manipulation and FCP works with video editing. Anyway if you are looking to work on advanced stuff then you could rent CC. I don't plan to rent CC because I am doing photo touching that is it. I love FCP because of great price and easy to use UI. :apple:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
For the record, I'm still using CS6 with Mavericks. No issues whatsoever. I personally refuse to use CC after the money I spent on CS6, so until it stops working completely, I'll be sticking with it.

And for what it's worth it's also working on Yosemite GM. I have the Master Suite and haven't come across anything not working.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Adobe CS6 and Final Cut Pro are two different products. CS6 is for photo manipulation and FCP works with video editing. Anyway if you are looking to work on advanced stuff then you could rent CC. I don't plan to rent CC because I am doing photo touching that is it. I love FCP because of great price and easy to use UI. :apple:

Creative Suite covers scriptwriting (well, I used it for that too), audio, web, photography, animation, post effects, film editing, illustration, publishing, and some other stuff that I can't remember now.

Definately not just for photography. Photoshop can be used to edit film now too, and After Effects now has the 3D stuff.

There are alternatives to all of it, but he was asking specifically whether it was a good idea to buy CS6 outright or rent it because of it being two versions behind now.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am sorry you guys are correct about Adobe CS6 Master collection that comes with everything. I only have Photoshop CS6 that I use regularly and don't always work together with FCPX I used for video editing. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.