Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac109876

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
So i got my hands on Adobe CS6 and honestly its great. If you have the opportunity to get this program i highly recommend it. Anyway, obviously this thing is huge though. The download had over 15gbs!
On my mac i only installed after effects and photoshop, and threw a copy of the whole cs6 on an external drive. Now my question is, since i only have these 2 programs is there any files and folders i can delete to free up space? Adobe loves to put in thousands of extras that you don't even need. Can someone guide me to which ones i can delete and which ill still need? For starters, i don't need "ExtendScript ToolKit CS6", correct?

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
So i got my hands on Adobe CS6 and honestly its great. If you have the opportunity to get this program i highly recommend it. Anyway, obviously this thing is huge though. The download had over 15gbs!

Ugh, this is so frustrating. Some of us are using smaller SSD drives now, Adobe. Creative Suite is so bloated it's ridiculous.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ugh, this is so frustrating. Some of us are using smaller SSD drives now, Adobe. Creative Suite is so bloated it's ridiculous.
Remember the install, contains a suite of apps, not just photoshop so its understandable that its rather large.

----------

Adobe loves to put in thousands of extras that you don't even need. Can someone guide me to which ones i can delete and which ill still need? For starters, i don't need "ExtendScript ToolKit CS6", correct?

They do, but the size of those extras doesn't usually amount to a lot of space, and the risk of deleting something that that will directly impact your installed apps is such that I'd not look to delete any files.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

If you're on a smaller SSD, you probably don't need a full After Effects, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver, Flash Builder, Flash Pro, etc install. Pick the apps you need.

As for uninstalling things... I have not gone around deleting stuff in the Adobe install. It has a tendency to break patches when they come out. For ExtendScript Toolkit in particular, you might want that if you're writing scripts for things.

Adomian

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
I don't know about deleting extra folders and things like that, though you can obviously delete the .dmg once you've installed everything. Other than that though, I wouldn't delete anything. In your situation, I'd move non important files (not programs) to the external disk (assuming that it's slower than the internal one), install the whole CS6 suite (that's why you got it, right?) then delete the installer. But to actually answer your question, I wouldn't mess around with deleting folders in the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.